Veeshaan asks:

My legal name change was refused by high school guidance counselor and school board. What to do now?

I graduated from high school in 2006 under my old name...though I changed it to the one I have now 2007 through the probate court. Between 2008 and 2009, I paid a visit to Selma High and informed the guidance counselor about my name change and she said I had to give her a birth certificate and a court ordered affidavit for the name change (I gave them the latter though I had to wait until I had enough money to get it); I had returned there months later to submit the said document to the registrar and she just cops an attitude telling me that I couldn't change it despite the fact that I graduated. I had to go to the School Board and they told me the same thing. What should I do?
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Getting ready for college
> 60 days ago



May 10, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Veeshaan, if I understand you correctly, you want to get your new name on your high school records.  If that is the problem, I think the school is correct and they won't change the name on their records.  They should give you your records with your former name.  The school records are legal documents and they need to use your legal name at the time you were there.  So if you need to show an employer or college that you do have a diploma, then you will have to show them all the paperwork: your birth certificate, affidavit, an other court records, and school records.

If I didn't understand your question correctly, please explain.  Good luck.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely