Q:

Have any links on paying for college?

"[Obama's] plan sounds great but at the same time college students like myself need money now because tuition is way to high today. We want to go to college but we just can not pay for it."

Asked by Christopher after reading the article, "Obama on College Funding":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Obama...

In Topics: Financial planning for college, Getting ready for college

|
Hi Christopher,

Education.com offers a special edition on this topic that has a variety of ideas for you to explore (including loans, scholarships, ways to save, and lower cost alternatives)...

http://www.education.com/topic/college-financial-planning/

Hope this is helpful to you!

1
0
williamsjohn
williamsjohn , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
Hi Christopher,

I think finaid.org is a great site.  I send a lot of my own clients to it.

John
www.toptenskills.com

1
0
CarrieGyrl
CarrieGyrl writes:
Hi Christopher.  I understand how fustrating this can be.  I was unable to go to college because I was living at home with my parents, and the EFC figure (the Expected Family Contribution) figure was too high to qualify for any kind of student loan, much less any kind of grant. This was years and years ago, before the Internet and ways to search for multiple scholarships. My suggestion to you would be to live on your OWN for a full year, and work a full-time job doing ANYTHING, and a part-time job such as a waiter or job where you get tips. Work 7 days a week if you have to.  Isn't college worth giving up hanging out with friends on the weekends?  

Then, Go to Roommates.com or Yahoo to find 1,2, guys living in a rental and you share, divide all the bills. Live in a dumpy place, college area, who cares?  Your parents can help with cash if possible.  Stash away all your earnings cash in a safety deposit box in the bank or with your parents.  Don't let anyone know how much money you have saved anywhere or in any accounts your parents may have in your name.  Big no-no.  THEN after the year is up, try applying for Financial Aide and Pell Grants, etc. as an INDEPENDENT adult at age 19.  The financial aide will then be based on YOU alone, not your PARENTS. Based on your meager earnings alone and the meager amount you may sitting in a checking account (no savings account, please - hide that).

If I had done this, I would have gotten financial aide, and I would have been able to go to college. My parents did not offer a dime to help me.

1
0
mmatt5057
mmatt5057 writes:
Here is a link that was very helpful when my son was looking for college money:

http://www.how2winscholarships.com

Good luck!  :)

0
0
DrVirginia
DrVirginia writes:
Hi Christopher,
There are a number of websites that offer information regarding funding your college education.  I am listing three sources that I am sure you will find helpful.

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
There are already a lot of schools nowadays which are also offering scholarships. You could try inquiring at keiser college to know if there are programs available.

0
0
MSmith0922
MSmith0922 writes:
I cannot see why in the world the cost of a college education should be the equivalent of feeding a small developing nation. Clearly Wall Street has shown us how important it is; and the Ivy League economists are certainly doing a great job at regurgitating their indoctrination (or why else would we be in this mess?). But what good is it really? I'm all for people gaining knowledge but in this country people simply pay for a good paying job which is not synonymous with a broad-based education.

0
0
DaveCR
DaveCR writes:
Hi Christopher,
there are a number of things you can do to get funds for college.
I've decided to take a loan to cover my tuition fees and got a part-time job to be able to afford it. I don't regret it as I feel education is a lifelong investment.

Hope that helps,

Dave

0
0