hrmunoz
hrmunoz asks:
Q:

We live in Texas and I can't find anyone who can or will test my son for Dysgraphia any suggestions?

My son is 7 yrs old in the 1st grade and has been tested for Dyslexia but he does not fit fully in that category.After doing research the school counselor and I came to the same conclusion that he fits in the Dysgraphia category but the school does not have a test for this she had never heard of it before.Now I don't know where to get him help.His spelling is excellent as long as he doesn't have to write. He has reading fluency trouble and has just started to get help at school for this. His hand writing is terrible and is unreadable most times even to him.If he has to copy anything down it takes a very long time with lots of frustration and tears. Please help me my heart breaks every day because I don't know how to help him.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/summe...
In Topics: Special needs

|

Please write your concerns down in a note and give to your school Principal.  You may wish to also ask for a meeting of the school assessment team.  

Together, with specialists on staff, they can address your concerns.

Louise Sattler, School Psychologist
0
0

lynellen
lynellen writes:
In my experience most Dyslexic children have dysgraphic handwriting.  There is an article on my website www.lynaot.com which explains the different kinds of dysgraphia and the symptoms of each.  An occupational therapist specializing in children with handwriting issues should be able to help you. By law the school must have an occupational therapist affiliated with the school.  Try asking for a consult with the O.T.

0
0
TinaLaBelle
TinaLaBelle writes:
Many teachers in the schools do not have the education and knowledge of resources that are available for children with different diagnosis such as what you are speaking of for your son. Your primary care physician should be able to help you on who to see. There are different websites that also give lots of information on different diagnosis; there are even sites that give you a questionnaire that allows you to see if your child fits into the category of having a certain diagnosis. With my experience (owning a daycare for 18 years and certified in different areas of mental health for children) that a 7 year-old boy will be sloppy when it comes to writing and drawing. Frustration does come when they are asked to re-do assignments or work, not just those who have learning disabilities . The National Association of Mental Illness (NAMI) has information that may help you, or at least answer some of your questions. They have a site also that will be helpful. I hope that this information will help you with assisting your son. Best of luck to you.

0
0