roosevelt
roosevelt asks:
Q:

how long does it take for mold to grow on bread

In Topics: Science fair

|
eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
There are other variables to consider like moist, room temperature and maybe how much preservatives are in the bread you use.

I did observe home made bread growing mold much faster then 'Wonder-bread' for example.

I assume that if you keep the bread a little moist and keep in a room temperature it will be matter of few days (3-4) but I never tried it myself

Good luck.

1
0
chemteacher
chemteacher writes:
Eliad is right about the commercial bread versus homemade: the homemade stuff will sprout mold faster. If you don't have time or desire to bake your own, try using the bread from the bakery at your grocery store. The commercial bread usually has some preservatives in it that slow down the mold growth. Also, if the bread is kept on the counter in a plastic bag the mold will grow faster. If you really want to speed it up, try adding an orange peel to the bag: most citrus has some mold spores on the outside. You don't see the mold because they spray the fruit with anti-mold solutions to keep the fruit fresh longer.

1
0