Daft
Daft asks:
Q:

Lost interest in my studies.

Hi. I've Lost all interest in my studies.
Im a 19 year old guy, very sociable with alot of friends but recently ive been keeping myself cut from society in some ways, except for family(brother, cousins etc).
And yeah, i've lost my interest in education.
I never liked doing homework, ever since gradeschool, but I always passed with above class average grades.
I was very sheltered during my youth and it was about to stay that way but i rebelled agaisnt my parents back in 10th grade, and it worked.  So around 11th grade, i started getting really tired of being at school, but i still got my high school diploma with pretty good grades.
So i started college, and then I started to litteraly hate studying, but my parents , they can't understand that a young person my age may not want to go to school. it's illogic. And so ive been pretending to go to school for the last semester when all i want to do is work and relax.
I have an elder brother and he's currently about to finish his program(he's in actuarial math). He's always been the study type, but apparently my parents think im smarter.
Probably some failed attempt of motivational speech. I asked to go live in another city and try to study there, start a new life but guess how it turned out. Anyways, i was realy hopeing to find a valid explanation to thisbecause i have read many answers on similar threads and theyre rather shallow.
 Thanks in advance
Member Added on Feb 26, 2011
im an ESFP type if that helps
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|

You are finding "studying" boring and unchallenging, and understand that you are making a choice to not do as well as others think you should do. At age 19, this is a pivotal decision in your life-- your future. You may find this decision has permanence-- what if the decision I make doesn't work, what if I don't like what I'm doing, what if I'm stuck. Please go see the counselor at the college and seek guidance in refining your goals. You don't say in this post what you want - except to take a break from school. You also seem to be saying that you are doing this for your parents more than you are doing this for yourself. You have some tought decisions ahead and may find a professional counselor will be able to help you make your own choices. Best wishes!

0
0
CJA829

Best Answer!

Hi Daft,

So here is what I'm thinking, and it's just my personal opinion, but I hope it helps somehow.
Without knowing you or your situation personally it's hard to say "an explanation". But, just from personal experience people are sometimes burned out after high school. Directly after high school is a time some people have taken to do something else for a year - travel, work or try something else, learn something else.
In a practical sense, if there isn't a calling that you feel right now you want that going to school is going to get you to, and considering that you aren't actually going to your classes - you shouldn't waste it. You definitely shouldn't continue to pretend to go to school, you are wasting money - yours or your parents.
This is a time when a lot of people start to strike out on their own, get a job and save up money to be able to do the things that they want.
You may just need a break. Maybe you need to be studying something different like if you're currently supposed to be going for a Biology degree maybe it's an outdoor Parks & recreation kind of degree you'd want, or going about your studies in a different way instead of doing the same thing you did in the past.
The hard part for a lot of people that do take time off from school, is that they get used to the paycheck of working full-time and when they make a transition back to school it can be hard to adjust. Perhaps you can try school part-time and working part-time. Or just take a semester off, but do something with it - see people, go places, read new things, explore what's around you.
There is more to life than school, but a college degree can get you to places in life you didn't even know you wanted to be.
Explore your options. Vocational schools; types of degrees; different professions and careers that exist. Maybe take a break.
I have so much more I can say on this but I don't want to ramble. But I remember feeling the way you do; it happens.

CJ

3
0

Daft
Daft writes:
I would be more than glad to hear what else you have to say on the matter, since you have been there and I actually appreciate the way you answered. But for me, the hardest part has to be about my parents. They are the source of my "hard-headedness". And convincing them properly without any negative effects is near the impossible.

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
It's never too late to turn the tables around. You could still get that electrical engineering degree online if you're interested. All you have to do is to start moving and never look back.

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
Just keep in mind the true essence of education. You cannot find descent job, you cannot sustain your future without having college education.

0
0