jacks
jacks asks:
Q:

I would love some recommendations on good books to read to a 1 year old.

My child is starting to point and make verbal connections between pictures she sees in books and the real objects like dogs and trees.  Are there any books that might help encourage this behavior?  Just to be sure, I'm looking for children's books and not research on the subject.  Thanks
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

Sylvia HS

Hello Jacks,

I have a ten month old grandson so I'm VERY interested in this topic myself.

I've found that board books and bath books are the best because he wants to chew the pages!!

Books with just a few words on each page, or wordless books, are good.  Also good are books that have large pictures you can point to and talk about.  Plus, choose books that use repeated words to give children the enjoyment and rhythm of language.

There are some lovely baby picture dictionaries available.  Because your child is starting to connect pictures in books with real-world objects, you could choose a dictionary that included pages about food, clothes, animals, vehicles, etc.

My grandson really enjoys books about babies.  He's interested in them whether they include illustrations or photographs of babies.  He especially seems to like looking at the expressions on the baby's faces.

The words in books can be real words or made-up words.  For example, my grandson always laughs when we start reading "Rub-a-Dub Dub, Three Pigs in a Tub".

Reading nursery rhymes, singing silly songs, and using books that "play" with words are wonderful ways to laugh together.

Your child will certainly let you know what she likes, as well.

Have fun together!!!

Sylvia HS
Reading Specialist, Author

1
0

bob , Parent writes:
Everyone will have their favorites in this category.  Mine is "Moo Baa La La La" by Sandra Boynton.  It doesn't quite fit your criteria, as it isn't all about connecting words to pictures of concrete things.  The amazon link is below.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin is more to the point, but focuses on animals.  The repetition of sounds is engaging in this book.  Amazon link is below.

These are both board books.  Since they are so highly rated on Amazon, looking at the :people who bought this book also bought..." section on the Amazon pages is likely to lead you to other good choices.

2
0
grandma52
grandma52 writes:
these books are very good for toddlers the wheels of the bus. also twingle,twingle, littler star.old macdonole had a farm and also i'm a little tea pot. hope is a help. ssorry can't remember the auther if i do i'll get back.good luck grandma52

0
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
One year old children love stories with lots of pictures, few words and fun silly rhymes.  Try the Maisy, Spot and Touch and Feel books.  Children love lifting the flaps and finding hidden surprises and tactile stimulation.  Keep the books short since the attention span isn't quite as developed yet.  Most of all, make it a fun and very hands on.

1
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
please give the books which he/she likes. But don't give any large one..please give any simple one with good message passing...

0
0
Safioleas
Safioleas writes:
We found that books by Sandra Boynton were very well received by our child.  She has a whole series of books that have CDs with music.  Additionally, books that catalogued everyday items, such as children's dictionaries or animal encyclopedias were fun.  I would point at the word while reading the word.  Then I would discuss something that I liked or noticed about the picture, such as "Look at that tiger!  It's so beautiful and bright with his orange fur!"

0
0