vidhyamonisha
vidhyamonisha asks:
Q:

I would love some recommendations on good books to read to a 1 year old.

My child is starting to point and make verbal connections between pictures she sees in books and the real objects like dogs and trees.  Are there any books that might help encourage this behavior?  Just to be sure, I'm looking for children's books and not research on the subject.  Thanks
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies)

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

There are so many great books for young children and I am sure any media specialist at a library would be happy to help you. I will give you a few of my suggestions at the bottom of this answer. ( I can't help myself, I do have some perennial favorites!)

I would first approach this question in another way-

1.  Find books that have bright, bold and large pictures.  Photography is also a great for children as they relate to pictures of real people, animals, objects.

2.  Babies need to process, so having books that are too busy with pictures is not a good idea and won't hold their attention.  Books with only a few words and items per page is great.

3.  Interactive books that use multiple senses can be fun- such as a book with different textures.

4.  Books that enable a reader to make fun noises, such as "The dogs barks- Woof!" is often very enjoyable for a young child.

Now here is a list of a few favorites of mine and my children when they were young:

Good Night Moon- has a wonderful rhythm when read.  Also, repetitive which is good for children to learn.

Pat the Bunny-  Great book due to use of textures

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom- A super book due to great pictures and the use of voice to make sounds.

Any book, such as Brown Bear, Brown, Bear or the Very Hungry Caterpillar written by Eric Carle (Although some of these are more a preschool level)

Or you may wish to consider having made your own book for your child using family photos, which a young child would find very engaging. There are a few companies that can help create a book for you. I like to give as gifts these special books if they are safely laminated and are very durable, as young children are prone to ripping books!  I have added a link on the bottom for you to peruse.

Know that reading to children is one of the best things you can do to help your child become ready for formal education and to learn in general!  I applaud you.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
3
0

hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Vidhyamonisha,

It is great that you are already reading to your child, and she is already making connections between pictures and real life objects.  Reading to your child will help her develop those essential pre-reading skills such as print recognition and phonological and phonemic awareness.  Picture books are great for teaching her letters, numbers, and shapes.  

This article has many lists of good books for toddlers:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/toddlers-love-read/

For information, here is a cluster of articles from Education.com about "Top Infant and Toddler Books:"
http://www.education.com/topic/books-toddlers/

I hope you find these articles useful.  

Happy Reading,

Hayley

P.S.  My personal favorite childhood book is: Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown & Clement Hurd.

2
0
heenal
heenal writes:
hi
go to Google and Type books and u get too much books on google so find out
good luck
heenal

1
0
Anonymous