SGoldring
SGoldring asks:
Q:

Magnet Math & Science H.S. Georgia Help

My son qualified 2 yrs ago for an IEP. At the time his middle school only provided and RTI.  He was in 6th grade and already expressed his strong desire to go to a Science/Math Magnet program. The Principal promised my son that he would do everything he could to make that happen.  Now the Principal told us, " He will have to learn to cope with disappointment".  My son is highly intelligent 92% despite no help with his disability for 3 years.  The school systems Magnet eligibility criteria is flawed and eliminates all Special needs students that do not score in the 5% on standardized testing.  The Magnet Program application matrix is intentionally designed to eliminate all students with any special needs.  The Magnet program uses a secret Matrix for evaluation.  The application process claims to be  objective which is only true if you are exceptional at standardized testing. This matrix eliminates all possibility of Special Needs students from entering the Magnet Math/Science programs.  The Magnet application matrix does not measure Cognize aptitude or cognitive ability.
The process is inappropriate and illegal.

Any advice?
In Topics: Choosing a school, Public School, State education standards

|

Houli

It is clear from your description of the magnet eligibility process that it appears from your perspective that it is complicated, secretive, and invalid for student placement purposes.  I would ask to meet with the school district's Special Programs officer to discuss in detail the kind of description you provided in this question.

Best wishes.

0
0
Anonymous