jsimpson1
jsimpson1 asks:
Q:

What materials can I use to help a seventeen year old student with dyslexia reading on a fifth grade reading level?

I am searching for materials to use when tutoring a seventeen year old with dyslexia who is reading on a fifth grade reading level.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Learning issues and special needs, Dyslexia

|

Hello.

Sometimes students with reading challenges would prefer reading that has structure and less text, such as graphic novels (comic books, for example).  Also, sometimes material via an e-Reader is easier for students with learning disabilities as you can enhance the color, size and type of text offered.

1
0

Cherie Hilbun
Cherie Hilbun writes:
Try the Barton Reading program.  It is expensive, but very good.  i have been tutoring many children that are dyslexic with very good results.  You do need to start at level 1 even though it may seem very easy.  It is important to learn the steps and get the brain thinking in the manner that will help the dyslexic child be able to learn at the next levels.  i started a 15 yr. old at level one.  You will probably find  that even though the first levels seem easy, you will find places that are hard for your child.

2
0
BandanaNinja
BandanaNinja writes:
As someone who struggled with reading as a child despite high verbal acuity, I would highly recommend audio books. They really helped me improve my reading skills not just by sounding words out for me but also helped me keep my focus and attention. Because dyslexia isn't necessarily a disorder of vision, more so information processing, comparing written text to their sounds will help the brain retain that information. Most important, encourage this child and always give positive reinforcement. Confidence will definitely make a difference.

1
0
rmknig
rmknig writes:
Have you tried and noticed any differences by using different colored papers or overlays or better still lenses that are tailored to the optimal color? If you Google BBC actress Kara Tointon and dyslexia you will see there was a TV show on her struggles a year or two ago with dyslexia and how in the end she found that by going to a specialist and looking through a wide variety of different colored lenses that her dyslexia was dramatically improved, life changing in fact.

0
0
MelissaDoesNotBully
MelissaDoes... , Student writes:
You should get a Kindle Fire, the new one of course. I have the same disability and I use the Kindle. Something Rotten should be a great book. It’s an 8th grade book I think but the Kindle really reads to you with a person expressing it and that’s what I like about the Kindle. I don’t read alone anymore. I can’t read by myself, I need someone else to it so I can hear. It’s better when you listen and hear. Promise.

1
0
Anonymous