JSorrentino
JSorrentino asks:
Q:

What is merit pay (or performance pay) for teachers?

Connected to the issue of teacher tenure is the question of merit pay. What exactly does merit pay mean when it comes to teachers in the classroom? How are these programs administered?
In Topics: State education standards

|
Hi Jsorrentino,

That's a great question! The issue of merit pay vs. teacher tenure has been a hotly debated issue recently. Merit-based pay, or performance pay, essentially means that teachers are paid based on effectiveness - as measured by student achievement. Outside of education, merit pay is commonly used. If an individual is successful at his job, it is not uncommon for him to be rewarded monetarily. However, some people have issues with the possibility that merit pay for teachers may allow for favoritism, and may not necessarily reward hard working teachers, but high test scores.

To read more about merit pay, check out a similar question asked by another member that I've linked below. There, a superintendent (and educational expert), as well as a teacher, weigh in. I've also included a link to a great article that breaks down some of the arguments for and against merit pay.

Lastly, we'd love to hear your opinion on teacher tenure vs. merit pay. We're currently running a debate on the subject. To add your own opinion, visit this link: http://www.education.com/debate/teacher-tenure/

Thanks for asking!

1
0
Bugaa
Bugaa writes:
Teachers get more pay as the students perform.  

Personally, I am NOT in favor. since a kid may be sick the day of the test OR MY personal fav.......My cousin got shot with a BB gun!  Yep!  Tests are SO important!

0
0