Q:

Michael asks: is there a state test to determine if a person has a learning disability?

Asked on behalf of an Education.com visitor who said:

"I'm trying to assist my wife. Her doctors & I believe she has a learning disability. My wife only completed 7th grade in school & has been recently diagnosed with ADHD by her doctors. I'd like to know if there is some sort of a state test for this and if so, where and how can I accomplish this? Thank you."
In Topics: Learning disabilities, ADHD & attention issues

|

Michael:

I am not aware of any state that has a "standard" test for learning disabilities.  We all have different kinds of minds and learn differently. There are tests administered at school by school psychologists and learning consultants that can determine a students ability to learn withing the given system for children and many of these learning consultants also see adults.  Approximately 37% of all people with ADHD will also have an additional diagnosis and that is LD sometimes.  Speak with her doctors.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

1
0

LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
You need to take your wife to a licensed, clinical neuropsychologist.  This professional is trained to test for learning disabilitilies.  They give a lot of tests that can take up to 2 weeks of testing.  These tests will include checking how the brain processes information, sounds, written words,movement, etc.  The neuropsych will be able to determine if your wife indeed has ADHD and any other learning disabilities as well.  Different psychologists use different testing so there isn't really just one specific test involved.

0
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
More and more adults are now being identified as having ADHD and LD.  I have listed a very good website to learn more about ADHD and other disorders that can accompany ADHD.

1
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
I am sorry that my aforementioned resource website did not post.  I highly recommend www.CHADD.org for information regarding childhood and adult ADHD with or without additonal disorders.  Good luck

1
0