langham12
langham12 asks:
Q:

Mid-year School Slump.

My 6 year old seems to be in a slump. He is an exceptionally bright child- self taught reader at age 3, doing high levels of math including multiplication problems, high interest in the globe and geography and science. We put him in a french immersion school ( we are English) and his french has taken off dramatically! The teacher even sent me a note saying our son was an inspiration to her as a teacher as his learning capabilities and will is amazing!

Now to the problem. Last week the teacher explains our boy isn't himself. He is likely bored in class as her instructions are lessons he knows already. She has given him extra work, but sometimes chooses to do the minimum she asks instead of the full/extra work he is capable of doing. He is fidgeting at these times as well as acting goofy and disruptive to the class.

I feel he is bored and from what I gather the teacher agrees. She is an exceptional teacher that focuses on learning rather than fluff. We have disciplined him (no video games at home) until he can control his body etc during class time and prove to us he can do it.

Suggestions for us as parents, for the child and even for the teacher? Concerns we should be addressing? Thank you :)
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning styles and differences

|

Before anything, I would suggest asking your child's physician to check him out. Perhaps he has some medical issues that could be impeding his ability to participate in school activities as his "normal self".  In addition, the School Counselor should be able to provide the classroom teacher and student with some programming that may help enhance his engagement. (The School Psychologist also could be a resource).

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

0
0
Anonymous