Q:

How has becoming a mom changed your life? What advice would you share with others considering this important role?

It's a common expression: "Motherhood has changed my life." In what ways has this important role changed your life? What top tips would you recommend to prepare others considering taking on the great challenge of being a mom? Thanks for sharing!
In Topics: Motherhood

|
education.com writes:
We posted this question on Twitter via @JustAskEdu and @Education_com and received these responses thus far...

from @SWCTraining
"Becoming a mom makes you a student, children teach you so many things! makes a mom a better person too! Sweeter & Loving!"

from @jlhe1975
"My life is no longer unfettered. Saturdays are no longer restful :). I love like I never knew I could love!"

1
0
beazkidz
beazkidz writes:
You cannot be selfish and be a good mother. I did not even realize how selfish I was, until motherhood showed me how selfless I can be. This is not to say that you need to forget about yourself, it just means that the needs of your children cause you to re-prioritize things that you may have thought were very important, at one time, before motherhood.

2
0
gr8chefmb
gr8chefmb writes:
Motherhood has changed my perspective and thought processes. I have worked harder to be more patient, thoughtful, caring & gentle. I am not always successful at those, but I am better than I used to be. Motherhood has also helped me to relate better to kids, especially the middle school youth who participate in my church's youth group. Truly, I cannot imagine what my life would be like had I NOT had a child. It is the most rewarding, awful, beautiful, heartbreaking, awesome, horrible, joyous thing imaginable in this world, and I wouldn't change a thing. :-)

2
0
DebChitwood
DebChitwood writes:
I was a Montesori teacher and children’s book author before I became a mother. While I loved being an educator, becoming a mother was a whole new experience. I was amazed at the instant bonding and at how natural it felt to be a mother. The intensity of love a mother feels is indescribable. Highly recommended!

My tip: Learn as much as you can about Montessori principles and methods before your baby is born. The ideas are helpful even for infants.

3
0
kristininca
kristininca writes:
Motherhood changed everything about my life. And largely in ways I didn't expect. I adored both my husband and our new baby, but our modern egalitarian marriage turned into something out of Ozzie and Harriet or Leave it to Beaver.My previously successful career literally came to an abrupt and unexpected halt, which meant I lost colleagues, a paycheck, a big part of my identity. I kept my name when I got married, but then suddenly I lost it and became "Jody's mom." Frankly nothing was how I thought it would be and no one seemed to be able to tell me why or what to do about it. It took a lot to learn why that happens to women and what to do about it and remodel my life. So I wrote a book to share what I learned. This is Not How I Thought It Would Be: Remodeling Motherhood to Get the Lives We Want Today. My tip is to read this book and others like it and try to have honest conversations with mothers and fathers so that you go in with eyes open and prepared to navigate the changes to your own life.
Kristin

1
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Motherhood has changed my life because until I became a mom  I was not one to "stop and smell the roses".  Before I was always in a rush to do "things"- my career, my social life were all in the fast lane.  But, being a mom has made me appreciate everyday for what it is.  The soccer game my son played in,  the musical where my daughter sang her heart out in the choir, all the board games and art projects that occupied our time and then later the walls of our home, and their laugh.  I learned to really enjoy the sound of my children's laughter and their smiles far above anything else.  Now that they are all grown I can honestly say that it is those memories that I cherish. And I hope in turn they will enjoy the same or similar of their own children- one day...

That is why Motherhood has changed my life.

1
0
Motherhood has changed the ways in which I view and experience life. Now, I frequently learn through my child's questions and needs, and find myself more motivated than ever to be the best person and mom I can be. While my decisions were previously driven mostly by my own needs and wants, they now center around the needs and wants of my child. I find that I laugh (and worry) more, and feel more free to be silly (will more freely embarrass myself to bring a smile to my daughter's face and warmth to her heart). Being a mother has helped me to better understand and empathize with my own mother. This role has also helped me be a better friend, and to choose more wisely in the people I select as friends. Time has become a precious commodity, and risk-taking more risky. Thankfully, my instincts have sharpened, and my spirit has strengthened. I feel blessed and challenged as a mother, so grateful and loved.

0
0