entoto42
entoto42 asks:
Q:

How can I motivate my 5 year old to read?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Children sometimes don't like to read because all the words seem a bit scary.  I know that I had a problem with my daughter when she was in kindergarten liking to read books that had more than one or two words per page.  One of the best ways to help her to read was to allow her to browse in libraries and bookstores.  We allowed her to pick out as many books that were allowed.  Also, she loved to read magazines that were geared to her age and interests. We also went to numerous story hours at the local public library so that she could see others her age enjoying reading!  Sure enough she started to take home a variety of books and 15 years later is an avid reader!

2
0

ReachOutandRead
ReachOutand... writes:
Hello!  Reach Out and Read (national early literacy/school readiness initiative for children 6 months through 5 years old) recently redesigned its national website and created a brand-new portal for parents and educators.  It contains reading tips, developmental milestones, and doctor-recommended book lists for children and parents.  Check it out and feel free to contact us with any additional questions!

1
1