monsterzuki
monsterzuki asks:
Q:

How can I motivate my child to learn in school?

Hi everyone . I have a questions for you guys. I have a 1st grader who dis-likes school. Getting him to let go of my hand when we get there is like pulling teeth. Once he gets in he does so-so . reading and math he is fine in . Writing and spelling words he has a really hard time at.  When I pick me up from school he's happy. But getting him to do home work is like pulling teeth again. I just do get it . Everything We have tried to do just does not work. We tried giving special treats for doing homework.  We have tired going as far as letting him type his homework that way the teachers can read it. So I guess i am not so concern over how well he writes  my concern is getting him excited just to go and learn . Any Ideas???
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

mukeshj
mukeshj writes:
The very first thing I would suggest is to spend a full day with him in school to find out what he dislikes about the school. Talk to his teacher and friends. Try to find out who is he spending most of the time with.  Is bullying playing any role into this?  Just spending a few hours in school with him might give you some insight into why he doesn’t want to go to school.
For homework related difficulties, I would suggest talking to him about the people/characters he likes and try to inspire him that to become like them he has to do certain things and doing homework is one of them. Discuss with him your childhood and what you liked and disliked about the school/homework. Kids are usually very interested in listening about what their parents did in their childhood. It works with my kids most of the time.
Also, this could be a long shot but I would also suggest getting his eye sight tested. I have seen an instance where parents didn’t realize for long about their child’s weak eyesight and it created all kinds of problem for the child.
Last but not the least; tell your child what you most like about him and that you are lucky to have him. I bet many of the things you may already be doing. Hope this helps.

1
0