katie15542
katie15542 asks:
Q:

how to motivate for writing?

how do you to get your child to write , when they don't want to write an essay
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Helping my child with writing

|

It would be helpful to know the age and grade of your child. But, perhaps these suggestions can be of assistance, regardless.

1- Have your child determine a purpose for the essay.  Do they want to persuasive or factual.  Then allow them to role play.  Perhaps they need to write a persuasive essay to pretend to sell some great idea or concept.  The factual essay can be for fun as if they were an important person from history.

2-  Consider giving them fun markers, pens or computer fonts to help break up the drudgery of writing with  a simple pen or pencil.

3. Have them practice their essay with others to get reactions.

4. Teach them how to complete a story board or brainstorming document.  ABCTEACH.com  (http://www.abcteach.com) has some available. Here is a specific link for graphic organizers- http://www.abcteach.com/directory/researchreports/graphic_organizers/

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families™

4
0

KristiW1
KristiW1 writes:
I'm not sure how old your child is, but IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) worked wonders with our children.   We homeschool, so this may or may not be a help for you.  It's strictly a writing curriculum that is not designed to place impact on grammar, spelling, etc...  It's designed to teach children how to write in a clear, concise way that allows them to take their thoughts and put them on paper.  Can't say enough good things about it!

0
0
Marsha612
Marsha612 writes:
I feel your pain!  Kids have a negative connotation with writing thanks to testing and essay writing.  I don't know how old your child is or if the essay is from a prompt or from a content area assignment. So here are some ways to to motivate kids to write by letting them do what real writers do!  To help them tap into their inner author you can try the following:
• let them write about what they are interested in
• let them pick their topics, let them brainstorm and draft in a writer's notebook for a week or so and then have them go back into that notebook to pick a piece he/she wants to spend time making better
• don't dwell on drafts being perfect, instead celebrate ideas, word choice and details that paint pictures in readers' minds.  Final attention to spelling and conventions can come when the final piece is ready to be written
• let kids decide the form of the writing they want to develop, whether they want to write an essay, or a story, or a poem

As students gain confidence and learn that they have control over their words and ideas, they may not dread the dreadful essay, or at least they will realize they can get through it!

2
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
If you are working on writing essays or paragraphs with your child, there is a great software package called Kidspiration at www.donjohnston.com that is a fun way to teach these skills.

0
0
williamholt
williamholt writes:
Do a rough outline of your ideas in a notebook you can carry around and then whenever you get an idea, just add it in the appropriate place on the outline and eventually your essay will be practically all finished. Good luck! You still have a lot of time so don't waste it.

0
0
philipsteele
philipsteele writes:
Maximum motivate them to read books or anything as much as you can. Reading will develop deep thinking and it will give a wide knowledge about something. Through reading we can get some great author's writing style, how much you read that much you can get the best. :)

0
0
robertmartin
robertmartin writes:
I'm also agreed with the above member's opinion..Reading and practicing will make the person to be perfect in writing field. Reading, reading again reading will make him/her to widen their thinking ability and your thoughts will go on another way for sure. Find the favorite book that you are most interested. Is there a particular book that always gives you the urge to put pen to paper? Keep it close to your writing space and read a few pages when you sit down to write. I think it would be great to develop a routine. Spend some times to write about anything every day...I'm sure that practice can make you perfect in writing.

1
0
kobyburne
kobyburne writes:
Here are some useful tips for writing papers that earn good grades in my classes.

Generally, I will give high grades to papers that I can read quickly. In other words, if the papers are interesting, have few typographical errors, grammatical problems, etc., they will receive high grades. If I need to correct spelling, grammar, sentence structure and so on, I will be slowed down, and I will lose track of your major arguments. So, your goal should be to write papers that I can read quickly!
Though you are not learning to be journalists, at least one journalistic technique will prove useful, at least in writing short papers. Namely, consider writing an interesting first paragraph that broadly outlines the goal and main theme of the paper. In successive paragraphs, develop those themes introduced in the first. This technique provides the reader with important information quickly and efficiently.
Use interestingly written topic sentences near the beginning of each paragraph. We sometimes forget this simple approach, taught to us in grade school, in the hope that more convoluted and "sophisticated" paragraph structures make us appear more learned.
Avoid phrases that use lots of commas.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Compare it something you really don't like to do - I hate doing dishes myself. I can understand why a child is reluctant to write an essay when I think of how reluctant I am to do the dishes every night.

With my own children and students alike, I sit down with them and we brainstorm ideas. I will even type for them as they speak their thoughts for the essay. It isn't easy at all for children to write essays and to them it seems like a very long task as well as a difficult one. By helping them with brainstorming and even with typing it out, the task of writing an essay is shortened and it models for the child that it really is a possible task.

For my younger son I did just that for years. For my older son, I did it until 5th grade and then he was fine. I'd still often type up his essays for him after he wrote them to save him time as he had so much homework in addition to his essays.

1
0
fastKirsten999
fastKirsten... writes:
Reading can improve a students writing skills. while reading not only you are understanding the things but also learning how to write. so read lot and learn to write

1
0
younghelen
younghelen writes:
You can motivate your child by appreciating his writing. Give confidence to write and help him to write the home works own.

0
0
Hazelwood78
Hazelwood78 writes:
It won't be a easy task to motivate the student in writing., reading nature is very required to improve the writing skill i think.

0
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
The best way to help your child become a better writer is to separate the mechanics of writing (grammar, punctuation, handwriting, spelling) from the creative part.  Your child's strength is in his vivid imagination - an important asset in all writers.  Help your child learn that writing is a two-stage process: the first stage is getting the ideas on paper; the second step is correcting or editing the work.

When writing the first draft of an essay or story, encourage your child to write things down in whatever form or order he is comfortable with.  Once those ideas are in a written form, you can guide your child to developing a more polished version.  If your child is very young, you will have to give a lot of help, but as he grows older, he will learn to do more for himself.  Keep in mind that even professional writers hire editors to proofread and correct their work!

MIND MAPPING

A good technique for getting ideas to flow on the paper is to use mind-mapping.  Your child will start with a main idea and then write down a few words or will draw a picture representing the idea in the middle of a blank sheet of paper.  He will then draw lines that go out from the center for each main idea he has about the subject.  At each line he should write a few words or draw a picture.  He can also add details to each idea by writing even more words and connecting them with a line to the idea they relate to.

Once the ideas are written down in this mind mapping format, you can help your child develop them into written sentences, using the child's map as a guide for developing the structure of his paragraph or essay.

POETRY

Introduce your child to poetry or verse.  Try using free verse-poetry that does not have to have a particular rhythm or cadence, and does not have to rhyme.  One of the advantages of writing poetry is that it frees the child from writing conventions, such as the need to use complete sentences.  It also allows your child to experiment with the sounds of words and to use new words that are evocative of a particular mood or feeling.

Your child might enjoy writing haiku, mostly because it is short.  Haiku traditionally has three lines consisting of seventeen syllables in total, usually arranged in lines of five, seven, and five syllables.  Although the form is very brief, writing haiku will help your child develop sensitivity to the phonetic structure of word segments.

Another fun form of poetry is to make a slideshow poem.  You can have your child take 5 or 6 photographs based on a theme (a recent trip, a family member's life).  Import the pictures into a software program such as PowerPoint or iPhoto and have the child write a poem based on the pictures by posting a word or two with each photo image.  Make it really fun by adding special effects, transitions, or music to spice up the slideshow poem.

Teach your child how to write an acrostic poem. This is where the first letter of each line spells out his name when read from top to bottom.  Once the child writes a poem based on his name, then he can write about family members, pets and friends.

PLAYS

You might also encourage your child to write a play, it is sometimes easier for the reluctant writer to focus only on the dialogue among the characters.  Your child might enjoy presenting his play as a puppet show or using a video camera to make his own movie using his own written screenplay.

Writing, like reading is one of those tasks that will only improve through a lot of practice.  Set up a designated writing area somewhere in your home and have writing material available to your child at all times.  This includes markers, pencils, pens, and crayons, as well as coloring books, paper, and journals.  Provide lots of writing opportunities for your child and above all -- keep it fun!

I have examples in pictures of the above ideas if you want to visit the link - it will send you to the page with the examples.  

GOOD LUCK to you!

0
0