Anonymous
Q:

Need help with mousetrap and the brick 9th grade physics project

Purpose is horizontal linear using only force of a standard mousetrap to move a brick 1.5 meters. I must design a appartus that moves the brick on one snap of the trap. Nothing can fall from any heights. Motorized vehicles cannot be used.  What can I do????  HELP
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work, Helping my child with science

|

bob , Parent writes:
Absolutely essential to the success of this is to have the brick able to move with as little friction as possible, like on ball bearing wheels or at least well-greased wheels.  You say the brick can't fall, but can it roll downhill?  They the only trick is to get it going, or to prevent it from going before the trap goes off.

The force of a mousetrap wire might push the brick on a well-build set of wheels that far, but everything as to be as friction-free as possible.  I would use a large piece of glass or a mirror for the surface (if it has to be level) and the best hobby wheels I can find, like from a decent RC car.  Then its a matter if securing the mousetrap down so that all of the force of the spring goes into moving the brick.

Of course, I'm assuming that you can't do a Rube Goldberg-style contraption where the mousetrap releases a latch that opens a cage releasing a cat on a leash tied to the brick on wheels, and then there's a bowl of food a few feet away.  Right?

2
0