madea
madea asks:
Q:

Is there a way to move into a different city school district and get permission to keep your child in the current high school Special Ed program?

My son just turned 17 and is in  the 10Th grade. He was held back in 1st. This year he has been improving in his comprehension, although he struggles, his instructors have encouraged him to work hard towards graduating. They aren't just "passing him along" like the other district was. I heard there was application to ask each district for permission to live in one area and attend in another. If so, how do I get details to help my son continue to  succeed.
In Topics: Choosing a school, School and Academics, Special education

|

Hi Madea,

You are looking for an "interdistrict transfer." Rules vary by district, so you will need to talk with the folks in your district office to get information on specific requirements and forms for your specific district. Often your request for a transfer will depend upon the enrollment at the school that you wish to transfer to. If they are considered full or impacted, a transfer will be difficult. If your request for a transfer is denied, there is typically an appeal process (appeals must generally be filed within thirty days).

To get specific information about interdistrict transfers in your area, look up the district office number in the phone book or conduct a general internet search for the "name of your school district" and "interdistrict transfer."

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist

1
0
Anonymous