madea asks:

Is there a way to move into a different city school district and get permission to keep your child in the current high school Special Ed program?

My son just turned 17 and is in  the 10Th grade. He was held back in 1st. This year he has been improving in his comprehension, although he struggles, his instructors have encouraged him to work hard towards graduating. They aren't just "passing him along" like the other district was. I heard there was application to ask each district for permission to live in one area and attend in another. If so, how do I get details to help my son continue to  succeed.
In Topics: Choosing a school, School and Academics, Special education
> 60 days ago



Apr 30, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hi Madea,

You are looking for an "interdistrict transfer." Rules vary by district, so you will need to talk with the folks in your district office to get information on specific requirements and forms for your specific district. Often your request for a transfer will depend upon the enrollment at the school that you wish to transfer to. If they are considered full or impacted, a transfer will be difficult. If your request for a transfer is denied, there is typically an appeal process (appeals must generally be filed within thirty days).

To get specific information about interdistrict transfers in your area, look up the district office number in the phone book or conduct a general internet search for the "name of your school district" and "interdistrict transfer."

Good luck!

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
JustAsk Expert

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely