DUVERGER
DUVERGER asks:
Q:

how do i help my5 years old learn how to read?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

One of the first steps in helping your child to read is to teach the sounds that each letter makes. Although it is important for him/her to also know the names of the letters, the sound that each letter makes is what a child really needs to know to start to read.

As your child begins to associate sounds with letters, give short, decodable words such as "cat," "dog," and "big."  Help your child sound out the word, sound by sound, and learn to blend the sounds together to make a word. Because vowels can make different sounds, start with the short vowel sounds and move onto words with  long vowel sounds. As your child is able to start reading words on his/her own, you can get short, decodable books for practice.  

Try these tips, and your child should soon be ready to read on his/her own!

2
0

Hi Duverger!

1st choose great books that will be interesting to your child.  I like to begin with a "picture walk"  this is where we just flip through the pages looking for picture clues that may help us to see what the story is about.  Also, often if they see a word that they can't recognize, looking for picture clues may help in figuring out what the word is.

Next, I read the book, pausing along the way to discuss the story and ask questions "what do you think will happen next?" "who is the main character of this story?" etc.  

Next, we read the book again, this time having him use his finger to point to the words as we read.

Afterwards discuss the story, reading comprehension is just as important as the reading.  They need to know what they've read and be able to understand it.

Help your child figure out words by sounding them out.  

It is also useful to teach your child to identify the books such as cover, title page, dedication page, author, illustrator, where do you start reading, discuss pronunciation ? . , ! " " and what this means.

Mostly just have fun with your child and read, read, read.

I've included some useful websites that you may enjoy.  Starfall is a very child friendly site that your 5 year old will be able to use alone.

Book Adventure is a site that provides an age appropriate reading list and tests that you can help your child take about reading comprehension and your child earns points that he/she can exchange for prizes.  

Pizza Hut Book It Program has great worksheets, reading logs and lots of useful advice to parents to help their children enjoy reading.  They also offer a free personal pan pizza each month that your child meets their reading goals.

I hope this helps and have fun!

1
0
sonofmine2
sonofmine2 writes:
Leap frog Letter factory was a fun DVD I used for my son. Entertaining too.

1
0
lucaslorenzo
lucaslorenzo writes:
how do I can help my child 5 years old

1
0
lntaylor
lntaylor writes:
I started my daughter using BOB Books at age four. I highly recommend working with your child using these books. They are affordable and have short and simple stories which are good on the attention span of the little ones.

1
0
salisburry
salisburry writes:
I wanted my cousin to learn reading in an interesting way which will not bore him, so that he can spend more time in reading, I found a kids app which would help kids to learn reading in a better way. I immediately downloaded and that app was exactly the best one for my need, my cousin now play games and learn reading with the help of that app. The app named "BOTO THE PINK DOLPHIN"  

Your kids will also enjoy playing and learning with BOTO!

1
0
Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
The Reading Lesson is a bestselling program that teaches young children to read in 20 easy lessons. It is designed as a step-by-step course for parents who want to teach their young children to read at home. The teaching method is based on phonics and key-word recognition, and with its innovative and guided approach, the 20 step-by-step lessons provide an easy-to-follow recipe for teaching children to read. Developed by pediatrician Michael Levin, the program has also been used successfully for children with disabilities.

0
0