gfather
gfather asks:
Q:

Should my nephew see a psychologist?

Hello, My Nephew is 5 and a half years old. His parents are not married and their living arrangements in the past 5 years have changed multiple times (living together, apart, apart with other boyfriend, with grandparents etc...). He has a 1 to 2 year old half sister (same mother). His parents have shared custody but his father takes a somewhat active role in his life and his new sister (father works a lot and his grandparents watch him. also spends time with the mother and sister as if they were a family of 4). My concern is his mental capacity for other people's feelings (example: he had accidentally slammed the dogs foot in the door, and had no remorse, said "she put her paw there."). He also tunes people out when he doesn't want to talk to you or ask him a question. A couple years ago he wouldn't even acknowledge other people were in the room with him. He will have outbursts of anger when uncalled for and in irrelevant times.

I feel I may have rambled the above but could also go on further. Do you think he would benefit from visiting a psychologist? I am his god father and feel like I have sat back long enough and need to step in to help guide the situation.
In Topics: Cognitive development, Discipline and behavior challenges, Blended families

|

We do think that he could benefit from seeing a counselor and so could the entire family.  It can be very difficult to live with these sort of explosive personalities and the earlier you address what is going on with your nephew, the better chance you will have to effectively work with him on these issues.  

We also think that it certainly couldn't hurt to see a psychologist.  It can only benefit.  Please try to sit down with the family, voice your concerns, and see if you can all get on the same page for the best interest of your nephew and his family.  

Please also have his parents call our hotline if you would like, we are available 24 hours a day, free of charge and speak with parents all the time about parenting problems.  Please take care!

Counselor, Dominic
Boys Town National Hotline-A Resource for Parents and Teens
1-800-448-3000
www.parenting.org

1
0
Anonymous