Marianella
Marianella asks:
Q:

Should my niece attend pre-school?

My niece has just turn 3yrs in January and she is home cared. My question is: should she begin to go to pre-school? Her speech is not up to part with other children we know and we are concerned about her education. She deletes final/initial consonants (maybe an articulation issue). Her mom is pretty young and we would like to give her the best advice possible. Is it mandatory for children to attend preschool?

Thank you!
In Topics: Preschool

|
Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Hi Marianella,

While I'm sure one of our experts will give you some thoughts on preschool, my question to you is whether or not your niece has been assessed and/or seen a speech pathologist to see why she is having some problems articulating?  Mind you, she is only 3yrs old, perhaps it's something she'll grow out of? But the best thing I would think would be to see someone about the speech.

There are many many who do not send their child to preschool. I am not sure if it's mandatory, though. Again, I think one of our experts will chime in here.

Edu-Katherine
Community Team

0
0
sandyj8
sandyj8 writes:
Since your niece is home cared, does she have the opportunity to be around other children (particulary around her age)?  My daughter just turned 3 in May and has a speech/language delay.  She was born 3 months early and her speech problem is due to her prematurity, but we've been on top of it since day one because she is followed closely by her pediatrician and the Intensive Care Nursey Follow Up Program.  I can share with you what I have learned about speech issues (and not just because of premature birth).  
Sometimes children can have an "explosion" of speech and was told it usually happens after their second birthday and also can happen around their third birthday.
Speech doesn't always come out clear (articulation) at first, that comes later.
Being around other children (especially those with large vocabulary).
The first thing to be done is approach her pediatrician.  He would be able to give a referral for a speech evaluation.  After the evaluation, the speech therapist will be able to direct her.  
Pre-school is not manadatory (I'm 99% positive on that).  But pre-school alone will not teach her speech.  Pre-school is voluntary and therefore private and paid out of pocket by the parent(s).  They are not obligated(mandated) to give speech therapy.  Your school district is who you approach first and the county in which you live in.  It is the law the your school district provides the "appropriate" education in the least restrictive envirnoment.  Free of charge.  Not all school districts and counties are alike and remember, appropriate is the key word.  Appropriate doesn't mean the best.  My daughter goes to a school district program and we pay for a private speech therapist.  The attention and one and one is priceless and doesn't compare to what she received in the infant program.  She's ending the infant program now (because you can't remain in the infant program after age 3) and will be in a preschool type program with speech services included.
I hope this information will help.

0
0