sable41
sable41 asks:
Q:

Is it normal for my 13 year old son to have imaginary friends and nightmares?  He's small for his age but very smart.

My son feb. 8th 2008 will be 13 years old, He still has imagineary friends, he's small for his age, but really, really smart. I'm just wondering if this is normal, or whats happening with him and how should i respond to this. The other problem is he's starting to have nightmares, is this normal or is it his inner consious, could someone help with my Question. Please.
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|
Carlab
Carlab writes:
I have two sons who are nine and twelve and my oldest son did have an imaginary friend, Ben, for a couple of years when he was pretty young. I think that Ben left our lives about the time that my son went off to kindergarten. I had similar questions at the time and I was told that he would probably grow out of it by elementary school. Sounds like your son is still clinging to his friend. My guess is that this is unusual. Does your son have "real" friends? Does anyone at school know about him? I think you are asking all the right questions. Keep at it!

0
0
fritzr
fritzr writes:
I know adults that still get nightmares so whether or not it is normal is not really the issue.  The question is, what are the underlying causes? Nightmares are often caused by external anxieties about something.  You should talk to him about his nightmares and look for a common theme.

0
0
gracie0032
gracie0032 writes:
i don't think it's abnormal, although my mom thinks so too. I'm 14, turning 15 in a few months and I "created" an "imaginary" friend last year/school year due to none of my friends understanding my way of thinking. I think it's because of school issues, maybe he's being forced into something he really doesn't want to do? Maybe he's lonely? Maybe he doesn't have enough time to hang out/play with his friends? Maybe his friends are shunning him? Maybe he's like me and no one understands him? There are a lot of possibilities, but it most certainly is not abnormal, cause I know I am very sane if I am getting an A in my English Honors class and have not gone loony yet.

1
0
EmmiDelilah
EmmiDelilah writes:
I know this is a late reply, but this came up because I was searching this as well. Except I am wondering if there is some sort of metal thing because I'm 13 years and I have about 10 imaginary friends, mostly animals, but there are two human girls and a one human guy. One of the friends who takes the form of an Ermine or a Greater Kudu is with me 24/7 and talks to me constantly. I see him, but not like a hallucination. I feel his presence and I see his as if he is being projected into the air. I can hear him and feel his too. His name is Eloaen, but my friends call his Ells, and I call him Oaen. We speak in our head, but out load when were alone. I'm a pretty normal person when I want to be though, I have no mental disorders or anything, and I have plenty of friends. (One who has imaginary friends as well, but at a MUCH lesser extent) I think its probably pretty normal. I think it just depends on the kid.

0
0