gramsneedhelp
gramsneedhelp asks:
Q:

Is it normal for an 8 year old girl to sneak and look at porn on the computer?

8 year old girl downloaded porn on her cell phone (that she should not have had), last year she was looking at porn on her great-grandparents' computer. She claims that a little boy at school told her that she was sexy and he wanted to have sex with her so she Googled the words sexy and sex. She took the phone to school and showed some kids at school.
In Topics: Children and cell phones, Children and the internet, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk.

In my opinion, this is not typical behavior for a child eight years of age. Some curiosity about the opposite sex may be normal, but pornography is not. I also would recommend that you take time to explain to her about the terminology she is seeking to understand and that parental blocks are placed on all computers.

A School Guidance counselor also may be an excellent resource for you.

0
0

greenprof2
greenprof2 writes:
Wow, too precocious! I'd have to say it is not normal, but that your young lady got curious and took steps to satisfy that curiosity. What she has learned however, cannot be a positive experience. Perhaps 8 year olds shouldn't have cell phones. Were I you, I'd seek some professional counseling on this.

3
0
rmknig
rmknig writes:
Wholeheartedly agree with the previous answer. I see this as a very serious issue and I would want to know the name of the child who was asking about this topic and asking for both children to be separated at school. Why does an 8 year old girl need an Internet access phone? Last year she would have been 7, I guess when she was looking at unsuitable material on the great grandparents' computer. Who is responsible for supervising this girl and ensuring appropriate parental controls are in place to prevent access to unsuitable information? Is this girl "at risk"?

1
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Wow!  My concern is - why does an 8 year old have a cell phone? Also, why is there no supervision when she uses the internet on the computer?  Perhaps it is time to talk to her and inform her about this issue and that she should not be watching porn.  You could ask the teacher to deal with the subject in a manner that all children benefit from the talk.

0
0
Anonymous