tjj324
tjj324 asks:
Q:

Is it normal for my fifth grade boy to think he is in love with a girl?

The only thing that is on my fifth graders mind these days is this girl in his class. He could text her all day long writing things like "I love you so much" and "there is no one in the world more beautiful then you".  It seems a little obsessive to me how she will continuously write back to him "there are other girls prettier then me" and "we are probably going to be with other people, but I love you more!".  And the cycle continues... I just want to know if this is normal for this age and how to help him understand relationships a little better.
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|
tallmama
tallmama writes:
I don't know, but I sure hope so!  My son is TOTALLY girl-crazy, with one girl in particular!  I tried to tell him that girls have cooties, but he didn't buy it.

1
0
illiebay
illiebay writes:
Yes it is trust me I'm a sixth grader and last year every boy in the school had acrush on a girl

0
0
Aliechia
Aliechia , Parent writes:
Of course it is normal for children of this age to think that they are in love with a girl because it is a subject that is so prevalent in mainstream media today like television; cartoons that kids watch on a daily basis. They can think that they know what it is, but they can't understand what it means or how it really feels. Look at Justin Bieber and his songs that are aimed at the preteen demographic, and what is being said in those songs. These days, the only way to help kids understand relationships is to sit down and talk with them and explain to them how you view the subject of love. Share your experiences, and try to talk in a manner which your child can understand what you are trying to express. There is no substitution for a parent sitting down and spending quality time with their child and talking about life. Talk about your feelings, and explain to them that no matter what Spongebob Squarepants goes through, it's not like what really happens in life. Love is a strange topic to bring up because it is so different for every person, but talking about it might make your child think differently about what is going on in their own life.

0
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
I think your opinion is OK..while reading it...But care about your self.

0
0
Country_dude
Country_dude , Student writes:
Yes it is normal, a lot a boys see a girl that they really like but they do not realize that it is not really love. But, yes, it is normal for him to be feeling like that although you should explain to him that it a little early for him to be getting in a real boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

0
0