Ashes42
Ashes42 asks:
Q:

Is it normal for somebody to stop being your friend because you cut?

I have been cutting for 4 years now and I finally decided to tell my best friend. I wouldn't tell her before because I didn't want her to worry about me. I decided a month ago that I want to stop cutting and thought that talking to my friend would help. Only she stopped talking to me. She messaged me saying that she doesn't like what I do and she will no longer talk to me. Is this normal for somebody to do? Should I just give up on trying to get better? I don't want to loose anybody else that I care about.
In Topics: Teen issues, Friendships and peer relationships, Cutting

|

Houli

You must never give up on your desire to stop this behavior.  Cutting yourself is a very, very serious situation, and I encourage you to find an adult- teacher, guidance counselor, friend- to share your feelings and thoughts about why cutting is something you are involved with at this time.

In terms of those who seem to be pulling away from you, only you know them well enough to figure out why they may be behaving this way.  Many people do not understand why people cut themselves and may be afraid for you.

Regardless of the situation I strongly encourage you to talk this over with an adult you trust.  Please do not wait but seek help and support as soon as possible.

0
0

linda.theappletree
linda.theap... writes:
She is probably not talking to you because she is frightened for you and she does not know what to say. Also, sometimes girls who cut have other behaviors that may frightening, such as depression and always looking on the negative side.
If you have not done so, please get to a counselor ASAP.  Cutting is a serious issue and you should not be handling it or trying to stop alone.
As for your friend, I'd text her and tell her that you miss her friendship, (and that you are getting help elsewhere.) That will let her off the hook for having to deal with your problem.  Be sure to try to make the friendship a positive one.

1
1
Anonymous