Loddie1 , Parent asks:
Q:

What is your opinion of the recent 15 yr. old who hanged herself due to school bullies? Is there a valid solution to this national problem?

Should the "bullies" get prosecuted or the school or both?

|

Thank you for reaching out and contacting Education.com!

Bullying is a serious problem in our schools and neighborhoods.  While schools can teach and encourage respect and positive values to young children, teaching children to treat others with respect begins at home, before the child even attends school.  Teaching empathy to children is a very profound social skill which has long lasting effects into adulthood.  Itâs similar to teaching children how to share.  Being able to put oneself in anotherâs place is very important for developing and maintaining healthy relationships.

Regarding the legal aspect of who should be prosecuted in the case of the girl who committed suicide, we can not objectively answer that question.  It is a very complex situation.  We just hope and pray that in this case the young girl's family will eventually find some kind of peace in the midst of this tragedy.  

Our toll-free hotline is available 24 hours every day for parents and kids of all ages who are struggling with issues such as bullying and peer pressure.  You can also check out our websites or pass it along to a child who may benefit from getting support from a counselor either through e-mail or by phone.   Thanks again and best wishes!

1-800-448-3000

3
0
jdvance74

Best Answer!

I feel the schools should have a no tollerance rule in effect, which would make the teachers and administration responsible for monitoring this behavior. However the parents are responsible also for being a part of their childs life and should know when something this serious and life threatning is about, and act upon it. We all need to educate ourselves better to recognize the symptoms, and of course act upon it. We are too busy letting society raise our children.
 I think the bullies should get punished for bullying, and the school for allowing it. This is a tragic result, I was bullied some what in school also, no one was ever punished for anything. But I am a male and back then when some one bothered you in that way you could walk away or punch him out, and then it would be over. Can't do that now.

2
0

TeamJacob
TeamJacob writes:
I think that we could have more teachers around and also make kids feel more comfortable around teachers to talk to them. I have had people i knew commit suicide due to bullying because she was pregnant at a younger age I think teachers should pay attention and look for certain signs like seclusion,staying away from certain areas and looking fearful.

1
0
I personally commend the prosecutor in this case! It is ashamed that there has to be a lawsuit for the school officials to wake up and do something. When children are sent to school, they should be SAFE! Safety above anything! I would prosecute the school district too. We need tougher consequences when it come to bullying at the school and on the internet.

1
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
This question reflects the national tragedies due to bullying.  I believe that we need to have an open campaign to educate kids- tweens, teens and THEIR PARENTS!  

There are many who are active in the national forum and in social media who may be of help to people looking for additional information to help children and keep them safe.  There are many to mention, I opted for those that I know personally.  

http://www.SueScheff.com

http://www.KidQuest.tv  (a positive online site for kids to see great ways to be different and be heralded for their ability to not to buckle to peer pressure)

http://Yoursphere.com -a very controlled and safe website for tweens and teens.  Monitored closely and participants beware- cyberbullying is not tolerated.  This site melds a tween/teens need to be part of social media without being at risk by predators or possibly a part of a viral campaign that is negative.

http://www.NASPonline.org (A professional school psychology site with information for parents and educators)

http://www.MattieOnline.com  -This website allows children and parents to learn from example.  Mattie Stepanek wrote about peace, harmony and acceptance of others during his lifetime.  He died all too young, but not before he was heralded for his efforts (and numerous books, writings, guest speaking engagements, etc.) by people such as President Carter, Oprah, and numerous others.  His mother, Jeni Stepanek, has picked up his "torch" and now helps to support summits for peace in the United States and worldwide.  Go to the website for details.

I know that this is a more global answer, but bullying is not only a problem in the United States.

Owner of SigningFamilies.com
Host of Learning and Laughter with Louise- www.Toginet.com

2
0