Anonymous
Q:

In your opinion, what's the best way to learn how to type?

There are plenty of options out there: classes, computer programs, etc. Just wondering what you think is the best one?
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

There are many excellent step by step computer programs for learning to type.  Also, there are good programs that are conducted by local organizations or community colleges  (they may be found under basic computer skills program descriptions in college guides).  

And of course, check out what is available at your local library!  Perhaps they have a great selection for all ages!

Good luck and happy typing!!

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

kbeardshear
kbeardshear , Parent writes:

I think computer programs are really helpful. I learned to type using a program called Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, which I believe is still available. When I first started, I also used Mario Teaches Typing, based on the Super Mario Bros video games, which is great for making the process fun for younger kids.

If you don't want to pay for typing software, there are also a lot of online learn to type sites that are free of charge.

0
0
I had typing I & II in high school where I mastered the skill, and more classes in college for the word processing aspect, but I am encouraging my 8 year old to learn to type now, because of the computer age, I have found THE BEST web site to do this, it has lessons, games and it's FREE.  My 5 year old also uses this site and they are already both typing the home row keys.  

I made them a folder to keep up with their progress and you can even take timed tests and print certificates (if you'd like) of your accomplishments.  Use the link provided and have fun!

0
0