Kelex
Kelex asks:
Q:

What are options for a learning disabled 17 year old to complete high school?

What are options for a learning disabled 17 year old to complete high school? My son has learning disabilities and has not thrived in the usual high school environment. I tried online virtual high school with the same results, too difficult for him. There has to be an alternative for him to complete high school. He did not pass 10th grade last year because of the pressure to do well in general education classes. I did have him enrolled in the local high school where they updated his IEP but he still did not pass, the virtual high school does not have a way to monitor IEPs so that is not an option. I would like him to be motivated to do his learning not ashamed of his disability while in a general education class, he is shy and does not have enough self-esteem or self-confidence to ask questions during class. This makes it difficult for him and I am frustrated. I would love to do home schooling but it can be expensive and not an option either. He has below 10th grade level reading and writing skills and this is a challenge for him.
In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

As a thought the guidance counselor may be able to help you work with an area community college that might offer special programs for students with serious learning challenges.

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

http://www.ldanatl.org/

2
1

DeborahVasquez
DeborahVasq... writes:
I completely understand your situation and feel your anxiety.  I have a 14 year old son with similar issues.  I try to tutor him myself as much as possible, he also goes to Sylvan learning center for additional help.
All I can recommend is working closely with the SPED Department at his high school and getting him extra tutoring.  One thing that has worked out okay for us is pre teaching his subject matter.  The teachers post lesson plans on their web pages and I try to prepare him for what will be covered in class.
Where do you live?
I live in Central Texas. (Austin)

1
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Perhaps you should look at a skills environment for him.  Some children just enjoy working with their hands and making things.  In South Africa, learners with a grade 5 level education and basic reading and writing ability, enroll at a skills school which provides them with a skill after 3 years of schooling.  They are exposed to hairdressing, metal sheeting, welding, upholstery, catering, cooking and basic office skills - learning to use the computer and computer repairs.

Inquire in your area if there are any skills or similar schools where he can be enrolled.  

You can continue the reading at home where you ask him to read for you.  Ensure that he is able to fill in basic information sheets such as an application form.  Life skills are necessary at this point so that he is able to answer questions in the required manner.

Hope you find the information useful. I wish you well.

1
0