salfam asks:

Oral reading to silent reading?

My 5 year old son is a great reader. He reads well enough orally that I know he's ready for silent reading (is that what it's called?). How do I help him transition?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Helping my child with school work and home work

Best Answer!

First, you need to make sure he is comprehending what he is reading. When he reads orally, ask questions. See if he can compare anything he is reading to his life. For example, Do you know anyone like this character? Have you ever done anything like this? How does she feel when this happens? When you are satisfied that he understands what he is reading. Have him read a  page silently and ask him what he read. If he can tell you. Then he is ready to read a little more. Keep asking him comprehension questions. I am sure he will do great!!

heenal writes:
alwers read with your child 1 hour all day and see what he is reading and help his to read and tell his reading is so imporant for student