canpanita
canpanita asks:
Q:

On what page or site can I learn American sign language?

i really love to learn it so that i can be able to communicate with a family member.
In Topics: Learning a second language

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am sure this question found its' way to my JustAsk mailbox because I am a specialist in Sign Language instruction.  I own the company SIGNING FAMILIES™ (http://www.SigningFamilies.com).  We create a variety of sign language learning tools and also offer workshops, classes, etc.  We also have  ONLINE ASL COURSES!

Depending on the age of the family member will determine at which level and what vocabulary you could start with.  Feel free to send me directly details of your situation.

In the meantime, I applaud you for wishing to learn American Sign Language.  

In addition, you can also check out the plethora of online dictionaries to help you with basic vocabulary. These online dictionaries include SigningSavvy.com and ASLUniversity.com

Thanks for writing!

Regards,

Louise Sattler, Psychologist
Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

2
0

BigSis
BigSis writes:
Hi canpanita,

I found a website called ASLpro.com, they seem to have good video lessons to start you off on learning sign language.

When you arrive on the homepage, they do ask for a $5 donation, but this does not prevent you from entering the site. Also they're supposed to be a free resource, so other than the donation button, everything else should cost you nothing.

1
0
Hi campanita,

I also suggest you check out SigningFamilies.com - this is a website run by one of Education.com's JustAsk experts, Louise Sattler. She creates awesome sign language videos.

She also periodically features new photos of signs on her Facebook page. I have "liked" the page on Facebook, and I think it's a fun way to learn a new sign each day!

Both links are provided below.

I hope this helps!

Alex

1
0