Q:

Parent asks: Can my child skip pre-k?

"My 3 year old is going to be going to pre k in the fall. She will turn 4 soon after school starts. She can already do all of the {things you reference in the article below}, but not button her jeans all the time or tie shoe. She knows how to write her first and last name, and knows her address. Is there any way she can skip pre-k?"

Above question asked by an Education.com visitor after reading the article, "What Your Child Should Know and Be Able to Do Upon Entering Kindergarten"
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Preschool

|
lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
So far as I know, there is no legal requirement for any child to attend pre-K in any state.  It sounds like you've taught your daughter quite a bit already.  Children who benefit the most from pre-K are those with learning disabilities and those who are underprivileged.

My daughter did not attend pre-K and started kindergarten as a happy, well-adjusted 5-year-old.  She didn't know how to button jeans or tie shoes.  But at that age, she refused to wear anything but dresses and velcroe sneakers.

If you're fortunate enough and willing to be able to spend these last 2 years with her before kindergarten, by all means do so.

2
3
jamemimag
jamemimag writes:
I am a Pre- K teacher and a parent to two hearing impaired children. I have to say that i disagree with the lady who answered first. Pre-K does not just benifit children who are behind or having difficulity. I have a regular ed preschool class there are no children in my classroom with a disability. Children do not need pre-k just for the academic prospect of it. Children learn so much more. One important factor would be socialization. children need to know how to interact with other children , children that are not family. How to share , take turns, stand up for themselves, things that are truely learned when they are in an outside environment. Academics is important, writing her first and last name is important but making friends, learning how to help and be independent, communicating and working problems out with peers is also important. Pre-k is not manditory anywhere but why not give them the advantage , children who attend pre-k have an easier time in kindergarten because they already know what to expect. Please consider your options, and please do not think that pre- k only benifits children with disabilities or children who are delayed in their skills.

4
2
JaneintheMiddle
JaneintheMi... writes:
My answer is the combination of the first two. If you want your child to go to kindergarten early, I would advise against it. If you feel your child does not need the academic ansd social help provided in preschool then don't send her. Spend the time enriching her life at home with books, play, and more advanced skills. I have been a teacher for 7 years, five at the middle school level and two in early childhood. My children who were taught and nurtered at home have an advantage at the middle school age. Many people advise pre-k for the social aspects, which are indeed met at those facilities, and very carefully, I might add. But as long as you provide your child with social opportunites in which they must follow rules and interact with others during a structured time or during structured activities( library story time, play groups, preschool sports, sunday school,etc) your child will be fine. Socializing children is a great thing, but they do not need 4 hours a day every day fulfill those needs.Really , it is up to how much you can and are willing to do at home.

Qualifications:
Masters Degree in curriculum and Instruction (K-8), Emphasis in Science and mathematics, Highly Qualified in the areas of Language Arts and Early Childhood

2
0
Skyflowers101
Skyflowers101 , Student writes:
YEA!

1
3
Skyflowers101
Skyflowers101 , Student writes:
NO YOU CAN SKIP PRESCHOOL BUT NOT K SORRY ABOUT MY OLD ANSWER.

1
3
marykoz
marykoz writes:
I have a child who excells academically. I chose to send her to preschool for the social aspect and routine. I was surprised how hard it was for her to adjust to the routine. But, once she adjusted she excelled even more. Now I realize what a huge impact routine plays in my child's life. Her socialization has improved as well. I am so thankful that I chose to place her in a structured environment that boosted her confidence. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

2
0
EllenA3
EllenA3 , Teacher writes:
I find it truly amazing that people feel comfortable giving their "opinion" on things of great importance. Answers to questions such as these should be based on sources such as scientific evidence and fact. Now a parent's gut instincts and knowledge of their child is important (I myself am a parent) but there is so much more to know here. Research executive functioning, self-regulation, and early literacy skills before making a decision.

1
1
allepatt
allepatt writes:
I am a pre-k teacher and have been for seven years.  I have always taught in this grade level.  I must say that pre-k is the most important socialization, academic, and independent year that a child can partake.  Yes it was originally developed for high risk children to attend a high quality program.  But it has to be a high quality pre-k program.  There are so many aspects of pre-k that I would not be able to touch on all of its benefits.  But I must say that the program is beneficial to all students, high performers or strugglers.  Yes the basic learning areas are focused on in pre-k as well as social development.  However in a high quality pre-k a teacher is effective enough to adjust their teaching styles to develop learning activities that are higher order, age appropriate, and on that level for each individual child.  As a result if your child is entering pre-k already equipped with the basics and a little more than a teacher will give active lessons that strengthen the skill and one that is a little higher.  

In pre-k students learn to become critical thinkers, scientific investigators, and great questioners and answers.  They learn rhyming words, phonics, letter sounds, reading sight words, measurement, and geometry, creative arts, dictating in complete sentences, creating thinking maps to answer questions, calendar components, and expanding vocabulary.  I have worked with all types of students and there hasn't been one not to benefit from the program.  If the teacher is effective in making learning creative and academic then you will have a wonderful year.  I believe that you should send your child to pre-k.  There are some aspects of education that children learn only when socializing with others in a classroom setting.

3
1
JoséeT
JoséeT writes:
Beside from being in kindergarden to socialize, you can teach your child phonetics on ped days and holidays and if she's well advanced and bored in grade 1 , they will consider skipping a year.  See  how your child do by yourself before making a decision like that.
My daughter just finished grade 1 and they decided to put her in grade 3 next fall because of all the extra work she has done throughout the year.

0
1
missy.ognib
missy.ognib , Parent writes:
Yes.  They can DEFINITELY skip Pre-K.  Pre-K is NOT required in ANY state.

I have no intentions of putting my almost 4 year old in pre-k.  

Most states don't require any formal schooling until approximately age 6.  Some cities do require K at age 5, others even say you can wait until age 7.

so, don't bother enrolling her if she is smart and is playing with kids at the park, etc.  Pre-k is great if you have to work and don't want her at grandma's all day long.  But, really, it is not necessary.

There is nothing she will learn in pre-k that you can't teach her.

And it sounds like you are already doing a good job at it.

Actually, in most states, you an skip grade K too. That's what I'm going to do, because my state goes by age, not grade.  So, in my state, they have to go to school if they turn 6 before Dec 1, otherwise, they can wait until the following year.  so, because I have a late December baby, he'll be 6.5 before being required to go to school, and I that time, I'll put him in 1st grade (he's an early reader, and even if the school recommends grade K, it is the parent who has the final decision).

But pre-k, like I said, is not a requirement in any state, so don't worry about it.

1
2
EllenA3
EllenA3 , Teacher writes:
Wow people, do your research (and know your politics) before posting advice. Though Pre-K is not required (nor is Kindergarten in most states) doesn't mean it is not beneficial. Pre-K and K are not required due to the lack of funding, not due to the fact that it doesn't help our children. The research shows that it does help, mostly in ways you are not aware of. Look up self-regulation and then post it is not necessary... because it is.Pre-K is not for teaching reading and math, it is too soon, but it is for social and cognitive development. Research : Vygotsky, self-regulation, executive functioning of the brain, etc.

2
0
iteachfromheart
iteachfromh... writes:
I think its unfair or un-justice with the child to skip pre-k though she can write her name's first and last letter but she has a right to play and go with the time, and also to enjoy and have excellent time to explore things.

0
0
CouponMommy
CouponMommy writes:
She absolutely can! There are no requirements to start Pre K. The teacher prepares them for Kindergarten and they learn so much. Please look into it and go to places that offer Pre K programs and take a tour and ask questions. My son turned 4 in March and I have him registered for fall. He is doing VPK which is only 3 hours a day and free. I am sad about sending him and could keep him home, but I know it will be good for him.

0
1