wvparent
wvparent asks:
Q:

Are parents allowed to see a child's homework, quizzes and tests?

I have been told I can come to school and see all graded work, but it is not allowed to leave the school property.  I am not allowed to have all his graded work either.  The rule is it belongs to the teacher, when the teacher retires, I can have all his work.  How am I supposed to work with my child each week to prepare for tests if I can't see the work?  If I am not allowed to look at the test afterwards, how am I able to go over what he missed?  What if the teacher made a mistake grading it?  I was told that teachers keep all the work to prevent other students the following year from seeing it.  This has been going on for awhile and I am very frustrated.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

I hear your frustration.  Since I don't know if this is a private, charter or public school, I'm not sure how to answer the question.  Here are some questions that you might want to find the answers to:

Can you make copies of the graded papers?
How are your child's teachers going to inform you as the parent what your child needs help with at home?  
How often with those updates occur?
Do the other schools in the district send home papers?  In other words is this a district policy?
How do other parents at your child's school feel about this situation?
How often can you come in to view these papers?  
If you are a working parent and can't get to the school, what is the school going to do to make the viewing of your child's work possible?

Don't be afraid to ask these questions.  You have the right to know.  I would dig a little deeper in to the situation.  If need be write a letter to the school board and list your concerns with this policy and offer suggestions on how to fix it for those concerned parents.

Good luck.

Barb K
www.lessonpop.com

0
1

Daniel_Guillot
Daniel_Guil... , Parent writes:
I also understand your frustration.  We do not have this problem.  We are allowed to see the test.  In fact they come home with our daughter.  I understand the schools policy is to avoid next years class from getting the test, but I believe next years test should not be a duplicate of this years.  Rotation of test questions is a common and good practice.  However, convincing a school to change this policy may be near impossible.  If the school wants to continue this policy, then it would be a good idea for them to provide additional information such as what area each child is struggling in, practice questions that can be used for the parents to assess their childs skills.
There are many creative and ingenious ways to work with children today, especially with the information available on the internet.  If the school will not cooperate, then your next best strategy may be to located and utilize some of this information to help you to work with your child outside of the schools curriculum.  I often make copies of my daughters work and have her complete it a second time to test her retention of material at a later date.  
It would obviously be better for the school to let the parents work closer with the teachers on the material being covered, but the ultimate goal in your childs education.  Don't limit yourself to what you school is teaching.  Look for opportunities everywhere to help your child.

0
1
Aminahcc
Aminahcc writes:
I am facing the same issue and am the point of filing a complaint with FERPA.  It is my understanding that ALL work inclusive of tests and anything done in the child's own handwriting specific to the individual minor child is privy to the parent until the age of 18.  I am hoping this will be resolved this week, but am prepared to take this further up.

0
0
Aminahcc
Aminahcc writes:
I understand what you are saying, however what you suggest should be augmented by the work itself.  FERPA allows parents the right to view all work the child has done, and within 45 days of the request.

0
0