Anonymous
Q:

Should parents bring up issues with the teacher and school at the end-of-year Open House?

Our school didn't provide details on what to expect at the end-of-year Open House, except that the student projects the teacher assigned for the event would be on display. While our daughter is doing well academically, we've had a number of issues with the teacher and school this year (second grade), and haven't felt heard on these issues. Would Open House be an appropriate or inappropriate time to raise issues that affect not only our student but also others in the class and school?

Unfortunately, the parent-teacher conference earlier in the year was managed like an assembly-line: parents rushed in and out of their 15-20 min. sessions with the teacher without time for diving deeper into the issues (it was basically, "here's how your child is scoring on homework and tests, and how that compares against other students and how that positions the student for standardized testing). End-of-year Open House may be our last opportunity to address our concerns with the teacher and school. But is it the right forum, and if not, can you suggest another event or way to try again in having our concerns heard by this teacher, principal and school?
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school

|

I agree with Ronald's response.  The end of the school year is a busy time for teachers and the End of Year Open House is not the best time to confront the teacher.  But if you request a conference, she should make the time to meet with you.  Come to the meetings with a list of concerns and proof if necessary.  State the facts and try to keep the emotions out of it - which isn't always easy.  Give specific examples of what you didn't like as well as some things she did that you did like.  Then listen to her responses.  There might be more to her side of the story.

If you are still unhappy, have a meeting with the principal as well. If the principal agrees with your concerns, ask her what reassurances will be taken next year to make sure they don't happen again.

If all else fails, put your thoughts in writing.  End the letter in such a way that you require them to responded such as "I would like to set up a meeting to further discuss my concerns.  Please let me know when you are available.  I look forward to hearing form you."

Good luck.

2
0

ronald
ronald writes:
Good question. Open House is probably NOT a good time to discuss these issues with the teacher. You probably need at least 20 minutes of private time with the teacher. I suggest you make an appointment ASAP to meet with the teacher privately. Most teachers are closing out the year by working on report cards, inventory, grading assignments, testing, planning the students' teacher assignments for the fall, etc. Similarly, I suggest you make an appointment with the principal to meet with her ASAP. Most principals will be around until the end of June.

Ron

1
0