icefjeff
icefjeff asks:
Q:

What should parents look for when buying a backpack for their children?

Children are often requested to carry a backpack to daycare or school so that personal items, work and projects can be safely carried to and from home. What should parents look for when making a purchasing decision about their child's backpack?
In Topics: Back to school

|

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Hi Jeffrey, You want to make sure the backpack you select has shoulders that will adjust to the size of your child and that he or she can put it on or take it off by himself. Too often kids sling their packs over one shoulder, rather than wear it properly. The number of back pain reports from children is alarming. A backpack with a waist strap helps transfer the load to the hips and a strap across the shoulders is a good feature that helps prevent slouching.I did a little hunting and found the following information for you:The American Physical Therapy Association, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and the American Chiropractic Association recommend these weight limits: - A 60 lbs. child can carry a maximum backpack weight of 5 lbs. - 60-75 lbs. can carry 10 lbs. - 100 lbs. can carry 15 lbs. - 125 lbs. can carry 18 lbs. - 150 lbs. can carry 20 lbs. - 200 lbs. can carry 25 lbs.They also say no one should carry more than 25 lbs. in a backpack.I hope this helps! I remember being in school and toting home a heavy pack over one shoulder and certainly ended up with a strained back, myself!Edu-KatherineCommunity Team<br />

1
0