Anonymous
Q:

How do I get my parents to cooperate and listen without getting stressed?

I have my SATs coming up and really need to focus. I share a room with my sister. And my study table is in my room. I need a quiet environment to concentrate and get work done. But my sister always keeps coming in and going out of the room. So does my Mom. When I tell them that I need to be alone and away from distractions, they either make fun of it or say that it's not necessary and I am just making it up. My sister sometimes starts quarreling when I don't get out of the room when she's studying and I am too. My Mom then comes in and tells me that I have to leave the room and go study in the living room. And if I say I can't because I need my work area on my study table to study, she gets mad, and starts calling me names. She pokes me with past failures and tells me that I don't have a future. I get so stressed out that I can't even study! What do I do?
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!), Children and stress, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
catz135
catz135 writes:
Ok, so I know this sounds really weird, but it really helped me. Instead of talking, write it out. Just get a note book, sit down with your sister and mother, or just one of them, and take turns writing your thoughts. When you are done, give it to the other person. Then they can read what you wrote, and write what they feel. This seems to work, because you are not trying to yell over eachother to be heard, and because you get a chance to look over everything before you hand it off, you can make sure that your feelings don't get too carried away and accidentally offend the other person. It may sound silly, and it may not work in your situation, but its worth a shot. Good Luck!

0
0
PositivelyMe
PositivelyMe , Teacher, Parent writes:
Sounds like your mom is a bit scared for you to be successful. She must have failures in her past, and you just might "show her up." Get a cotton ball, tear off two pieces, wet them with a few drops of water and place them in your ears. Don't push them in too far! :) The water in the cotton ball is a great sound barrier. Also plan ahead for study time. Do any chores your mom might require of you ahead of time, and let her know (pleasantly) that you're going to be studying from 1-3 (for example). Politely ask your sis if you may have the room during those hours. Quite often when you are sweet and helpful you'll get that behavior in return. If they are totally unreasonable, see if you can go to the library.

0
0
Show me another question in this topic
Anonymous