Anonymous
Q:

What can a parents do when they know a teacher is using drugs?

My child and I observed one of OUR teachers using drugs in her car.  What can we do about it.  Don't want to give my name or that of my child, for obvious reasons.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

Contact the school administrator.  You can either call or drop off an anonymous note.  However, I encourage you to not be afraid to identify yourself.  (That would be a great lesson for your child.)  If you do, just ask the administration to keep your name out of it.  If you don't trust the administration, then contact the police to investigate or school board.

When you notice the authorities, stick to the facts.  Date, time, and exactly what you saw.  Don't add your opinion.  If you think you saw something, then say, "It looked like..."  If you know for sure, then say, "It was..."  

Most school districts have services available to help employees who have substance abuses.  You want to get this teacher help.

I would also take the time to talk with your child, since he/she witnesses the situation.  I would encourage you to ask you child to not talk about it at school or with his/her friends. You do not want to start rumors or have people panic if there isn't a formal investigation.  

Good luck.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0

I'm so sorry that you're in this tough situation. I suggest you contact the school administration immediately. They need to know. If they don't handle it swiftly or properly, contact law enforcement right away. Your child and the teachers other students could be in danger, and unfortunately, as the witness, it is your responsibility to see it that the proper authorities are alerted.

1
0
helper13
helper13 writes:
You can tell the principal your concerns,and ask him to take it seriously I had the same problem at my school only my teacher was drinking Tylenol with coating from the bottle and she was drinking the whole bottle and she would pop all kinds of pills and she was a drunk my mom let the principal know,sadly it was common knowledge that this lady was a drunk and alcoholic he didn't care just push the issue.Good Luck

0
0
momosan1
momosan1 writes:
I am kind of concerned on the overall handling of the situation. Is your child old enough to know the teacher was using drugs, or did you state it to to your child the teacher was using drugs? If you did witness such an unacceptable behavior, you should have turned back around and reported it to the staff immediately. Also, you are the parent, so saying "what can we do about it" puts some of the responsibility on your child which seems unfair since you were there and could have stepped up. I am also concerned by you being so afraid to stand up. We as parents have to make decisions everyday, sometimes easy, and others hard. I am very vocal at my child's school, and honestly I do not care if they like it or not. My children are my responsibility, and my children learn through my actions.
If you still feel too afraid to go to school staff, call the local school district's police department. You will not be obligated to give your name.
Good Luck.

0
0