Q:

What should parents do when the teachers are the one bullying students?

Asked by a parent via email:

My sons teacher has told other parents that my son has"gender issues". He has also told my son in front of his whole 8th grade class that he has "gender issues". The same teacher also called my son a "SLUG" in fron of his 8th grade class because he was working slowly. My son is professionally diagnosed with OCD and was taking his time to complete the project. Another teacher wrote my son a letter and gave it to him in school telling him that he is worthless, will amount to nothing and how sorry she feels for him. Another teacher screamed at him so loudly in class that another teacher had to leave her classroom to go next door and make sure everyone was ok.! And there's more. Then society wonders why some kids act out upon the school. The school takes NO responsibility for their actions or the actions of their staff. The school is aware of all of these situations and yet these teachers as still working at the school and bullying my son and most likely other kids. Our kids get punished when they react back to the bullying from the teachers but yet the teachers go on without any punishment for their behavior. What do we parents do? Where do we go to get our voices heard. How do we help to provide our children with a SAFE and HEALTHY atmosphere for our children in the schools and to receive a nurturing environment to encourage the children?

|

I am sorry to hear about your son's situation.  The actions by the teachers that you have described is unacceptable and totally unprofessional.  

First let me say how lucky your son is to have you as a parent.  He needs someone to listen to him and to stick up for him.  Here are some things you can do that might help.

Keep a journal.  Write down dates, times and a detailed description of events.  Stick to the facts and try to keep emotions out of it.  You may need to prove what is happening and the more accurate you are the better.  Be sure to include that letter that the teachers gave your son.

Get eye witness accounts.  There might be other teachers or parents who have seen exactly what happens.  Ask them if they will help you put this matter to rest. I'm sure if it were happening to their child, they would want support from other parents.

Go to the school board and district offices.  If they are not listening to you on the school level, then it is time to step it up and let the school board members know what's going on.  You can either call their offices or send an email to all members describing what is happening.  Ask them what they are going to do about it.  Ask them what the school district's policy is on bullying.

Here are some more drastic measures - hopefully you won't have to go this far.

File a complaint.  If there is any physical contact, you can file a complaint with the police department.  

Contact a lawyer.  If still no one is taking action to stop this behavior, then you may want to look into getting some legal advice.

You may want to consider homeschooling your son or changing schools if that is an option.

Hope I've given you some ideas.

Good luck,
Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

Notify the press.  A reporter might take on the story.

8
0

EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
This is NOT acceptable.  I am very concerned about a teacher working with children who is this insensitive.  If the school is not taking action, take it to a board meeting.  Observe the classroom and take notes.  Not all teachers are great role models but this is destructive.  Of course, you need to first confront the teacher in an open but firm way.  
Please see get the free report on Cyberbullying at my website which addresses what to do in general as well.  
Do take action!
Edie

2
0
k.mortenson
k.mortenson writes:
i just want to say first off that this isnt happening in just one school. This happens everywhere. in my school, in my friends schools, in colleges, everywhere. and it shouldnt be happening. i really dont know how to answer this but i just wanted to suggest maybe moving him to a different school.

1
0
ms.trimble
ms.trimble writes:
Now im so hurt to hear this.... this is absolutely unexceptable you need to demand respect, change schools, or switch his/her classes...now me myself i would maybe change schools because no teacher is going to make fun or tease my children..now if someone is bullying your child and they react and get in trouble you shouldnt care or punsih them because they were pretecting themselves and the situation with her talking about his diffrently abled issue is really unexceptable i would defenitely knock/talk some sence into that teacher

0
0
cracked
cracked writes:
well you should go to the school and ask for the teacher that is yelling at them and then yell at the teacher because you can not get in trouble for it ever

0
0
SarahRachel
SarahRachel writes:
^^^ Tell the popo

1
0
Anthonyt6699
Anthonyt6699 writes:
She should be ashamed of her self,whoever in charge of that school should fire her

0
0