Malow
Malow asks:
Q:

Is Sylvan learning program a good choice and are their other educational programs to evaluate and help my grandson?

Both parents work, 9 year old barely passing 4th grade. Great grand parents care for child after school & want to hire a tutor. I, as grandmother to be, want to suggest a Sylvan learning program to assess child.  What do you think?  Is Sylvan learning program a good choice and are their other edu programs to evaluate and help my grand son.  Malow
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Working with tutors

|

Allyn Anderson

You can consult your local phone book to determine what private educational programs are available in your area. Sylvan Learning would certainly be one to check out. Before contacting anyone ask the parents to make a call to the child's teacher or give the grandparents written permission to do so. Ask the teacher his/her perspective on the child's learning difficulties. Does the child need more practice? Or, does the teacher feel there is a more serious learning concern? If more practice is needed, check with the school's counselor regarding available tutors or other program recommendations. If, however, a more serious learning concern is noted, ask the parents to write a letter to the principal asking for a child study team meeting to review the educational concerns of this nine year old.

0
0

bob , Parent writes:
I can't say that its the best available program, but from personal experience with two of my kids using the program, it can be effective.  Additionally, one of my nieces in another state took a "study skills" course there and, from the reports I got, it made a huge difference in her success in school.

0
0
Anonymous