Anonymous
Q:

How to pay Full Sail's tuition?

Full Sail's online Game Design degree costs $54,000, plus a $3,100 macbook (they call it a "launchbox").  Forget, for a minute, the macbook.  The $54,000 in tuition alone is completed in only 32 months.  Divide it all up, and it comes out to an average of $1,687.50 per month.  Multiply that by twelve months, and you get $20,250.

Even if I get the maximum Pell Grant, that will only take out $5,050, knocking my tuition (excluding the macbook) to $15,200.

Niether my parents, nor I have the credit for a private or PLUS loan, so I must pay it all on FAFSA, or out of pocket.  The banks that do Stafford loans will take out a 5% processing fee, so my maximum stafford amount of $9,500 (by not being qualified for a PLUS loan, my stafford limit will increase) will be reduced to $9,025, knocking my tuition down to $6,175.  The $3,100 macbook (software included) will be $9,275.  

How can I cover this by this May (when I leave my community college)?  They don't want me to make payments of $773 a month; they want their money and they want it now, but even if I could make payments, how the hell am I going to pay $773 a month?  As a college student, I'd be lucky if I can get a job that pays that much gross!  I'm content having to pay it back with a high interest rate (not ideal, but content) if I have to, as long as I can find a private student lender that will accept my horrible credit without a cosigner!
Member Added on Nov 19, 2009
By the way, I don't want to rely on scholarships because I have to compete with them.  I need a guarantee, and then, if I can get a scholarship, I can use it to pay down the loan.  Also, let's not forget that I probably WON'T get the maximum Pell grant because my parents make too much money!
In Topics: Financial planning for college

|
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your struggling with financing your goal of getting a game design degree from Full Sail University.

I found this list of game biz Q&A online that includes a question about whether or not Full Sail is worth the expense. See question #4:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.html

You might consider pursuing the goal of becoming a game designer, without attending Full Sail, or waiting until you can save up the tuition (or secure a scholarship), if you're absolutely certain that Full Sail is the only option for you.

I'm including a link below to Education.com's special edition on college financing, which may also offer some ideas for you. Good luck!

1
0
fullsailreview
fullsailrev... writes:
This is probably not what you want to read but... save your money and go elsewhere. The school has a horrible reputation and they are only nationally accredited. No other school will accept their credits or recognize a degree from them.

Check out the attached blog address, it appears to be pretty comprehensive.

4
0
MelanyR
MelanyR writes:
Unfortunately, you do not have too many options available. If it's really your dream, then try to save money, work hard to increase your income. There's always an option to look for something more affordable, maybe you can afford another school? Consider all the options available before making decisions, talk to people who can help you somehow. If you really want something, there always will be a way to get it. But I think that you should pay attention to other schools also and try to look for more affordable option.

1
0