kvandiv
kvandiv asks:
Q:

Is penmanship part of the curriculum for 8th grade?  

I have a question in regards to penmanship in public school. My son is in the 8th grade and does  not have the best hand writing. He is now being given 0's or F's due to his writing. Is this something that is happening to anyone else and if how did you appraoch it. Early intervention was never pushed to help him and now that he is older feel this could actually hurt him more, however we are willing are to do anything as long as it doesn't degrade  him. Not only is this grading system affecting  his overall GPA but also his self confidence. Is penmanship part of the California standards for cirriculam? Just want a better approach and help my child rather then allow him to continue to be punished.  Thanks for any comments.

In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:

Well coming from someone who grew up being told I had "chicken scratch" or that I would become a doctor because my penmanship was so horrible, I never fully corrected it, and I'm now 30! I am surprised that his penmanship is causing his GPA to fall. Usually, the writing class and teacher judge students on theirs thoughts and how they get them on paper, not how it looks. However, I have heard teachers, and I did to an extent, say that if they could not read or understand the handwriting they would give the student an F. For your son I would suggest talking to the teacher first. S/he will let you know exactly needs to be done. I would suggest he use the computer to type his papers or other homework. It is difficult these days because so much is done on the computer with little practice working on one's penmanship. Having and open and honest dialog with your son and letting him know his handwriting needs to improve because when he gets a job or to college, it might work against him. In my case I knew my handwriting was awful, and I didn't want to change it. It was difficult to do but I had to force myself work at it. I am still working at today, but at least I am aware of it and know I needed to improve it.

2
0
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
donpotter.net has a lot of stuff about reading, writing, cursive, etc. He sent me a bit about the Palmer Method. It's how everybody learned to write before the schools went downhill. I was thinking how odd it might seem for kids today--that kind of precision. But if you presented it as a graphic design project--maybe it would appeal. I mean, that's where you take the time to make pretty letters for their own sake. Like a chef making cookies....
Here's link on YouTube: See below. I would encourage your son to treat it as an interesting challenge: can he do what is in that video??

2
0
newBinnie
newBinnie writes:
If the teacher is not able to read his writing then how would she/he know if the student was right or wrong. Sloppiness in this area makes for allowing sloppiness in other areas.

0
0