katjb
katjb asks:
Q:

What does Pervasive Developmental Problems was in the clinical range mean?

My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed w/ a speech delay at 21 mnths old. She has been in speech therapy, but is currently in preschool for this delay. I received her test results today from the school psychologist from all the tests that I filled out, the ones they filled out, and from observations. On a couple of papers it says 'her score on the Pervasive Developmental Problems scale was in the clinical range' and 'her score on the Pervasive Developmental Problems scale was in the borderline clinical range.' Does this mean she's autistic? I guess I just don't understand what this means, and should I be worried?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Speech and language issues

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

As a School Psychologist, I would welcome a parent, like yourself to connect and be given an opportunity to be 'walked through' the results.  There are many features to each of the tests administered by a psychologist with many scores generated. One test alone does not give a diagnosis for Autism or any related disorders. This diagnosis is made with a multitude of information, including parent input.  Therefore, you should ask for an appointment with the team or the psychologist, individually. Bring another person with you to help take notes as this process can be overwhelming.

As I don't have the report nor protocols (testing forms), I cannot say for sure what lead the psychologist to give this finding. But, the psychologist should be able to answer all of our questions in user friendly terms.

What would seem important now would be to get your child the best early intervention possible through experts who know how to help children with speech and language delays.  

Also, feel free to write back (publicly or privately) for resources for parents if you feel so inclined.

We wish your family the very best.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES

0
0