Anonymous
Q:

How do I pick the right school for my 6yr old son and 4yr old daughter?

My husband and I are African American we moved into Caucasian neighborhood about 3yrs ago. Our kids attend a learning center a few towns over that is a awesome school. It's mostly African American and Hispanic and their teaching skills are the best. But now it's time for my son to start 1st grade and my daughter b-day is late so she will have to take preschool again.I want them to attend a school closer to our house, and i want them to feel comfortable and treated fairly. All the schools out here are 1% African American. How do i choose a school that will make them feel welcomed and also get the best education?
In Topics: Choosing a school, Public School, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

This is a good question and one that should be asked now instead of August.  Education.com does have some valuable information that might help guide you as you make this decision.  http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/

Here are some other things you can do:

1.  Since you are happy with where your children are going to school now, ask other parents and teachers what they suggest.  They can give you some insight as to which schools in your neighborhood might be a good fit.

2.  Talk to parents in your neighborhood who are African American.  They can give you first hand information that can help you to make up your mind.

3.  Take tours of schools in your neighborhood. Most schools have scheduled tours, but don't stop there.  Go to the school at arrival and dismissal time.  See what is going on.  Talk to parents who are waiting to pick up their children.  Pay attention to how the teachers, principal, office staff, aides, etc interact with each other as well as the students.

4.  Bring your son to the schools you are interested.  See if you can arrange for him to spend a morning in a Kindergarten classroom.  Some schools are more open to this idea than others, but it is worth asking if it can be done.

5.  If you feel comfortable, then your child will as well.  You are by far the one who make the biggest impact on your children.

Hope that has given you some things to think about.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0
Anonymous