Q:

Do you know of a play or script that focuses on bullying?

"My grade 5 class is part of the performing arts for this term, and I'm trying to come up with something that will be educational and at the same time a bit of fun. I'm trying to find a play or script that will focus on the issue of bullying. Do you have anything suitable? Thanks for your help."

Asked by Michelle via email.
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work, Bullying and teasing, Creative arts

|

Nebraska

I think that Illusion Theater has a script about bullying. RESPECT2 (see website below) has several plays about bullying; however, they're performed by professional actors. You could also try the website supported by the Department of Health and Human Services (http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids).
1
0

Michelle,

What a timely and important issue to address!

The first link I'm including is filled with picture books and chapter books that focus on bullying. I've read one of them: Loser by Jerry Spinelli, and it's quite powerful. Perhaps the class can take the story line of one of these books and reformat it into a play? Just a thought.

The second resource below contains quite a few bullying scripts, but at first glance, it appears that you have to pay for them.

Lastly, I'm not sure how much this helps, but the first thing that came to mind was a YouTube contest last year based on a touching song about bullying called "Caught in the Crowd" by Kate Miller-Heidke. I'm including a link to one of the submissions by a high school. It's impressive!

1
0
Additionally, I just happened across a really cute script that might be perfect for your fifth graders. It's aimed at grades 3-6, and it sounds like the script does a good job of maintaining a light tone, while still exploring the pressing issues of bullying and tolerance for others.

This link includes a list of props, themes, follow-up questions, and at the end of the page, a separate link to the script.

1
0
These two websites may be interesting to you.  Lazy bee scripts have many playscripts for different age groups and time allowance.  Bad Wolf Press sales a playscript that is directed at 5th grade bullying.  Also, if you are familiar with the "Help Me Be Good" series, these could easily be adapted into short scripts.  It may also be fun to group the children into separate groups and to create their own script about bullying.

1
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Heck, have them write and create their own!!  
Role playing is the modality I use to teach student and teachers how to overcome bullying so you are on the right track!  YES!  
Have them share their own stories and create the skip.   Best way!  
Let me know how it goes and do visit my websites as I think they may help as well.  
Keep up the good work. You get it!
Edie

0
0
Diva_Goth21
Diva_Goth21 writes:
First you have to find out the people the look up where bulling happens most.

0
0
saybullyprevention.org
saybullypre... writes:
download the teacher manual from Operation Respect (http://www.operationrespect.org/curricula/index.php) There are role plays and a number of useful activities.

1
0
ronnk9
ronnk9 writes:
"How to Handle a Bully." by Bob Zaslow, a rap play, at www.creativeeducationalsystems.com/web_files/Bully.html  (it's downloadable or can be bought as a hard copy)

0
0
Jonathants
Jonathants writes:
"The Losers' Club," published by Eldridge Publishing," is a high school One-Act Play that deals with bullying.  It is a comedy/drama and has been produced in high school around the country. An excellent play that confronts bullying and how people can change.

0
0
Mrs.Deylinen
Mrs.Deylinen writes:
Ok, there is a play called Bullies Anonymous from Bad Wolf Press.

0
0
Anonymous