tinamae
tinamae asks:
Q:

need potty training help with my "almost" 4 yr. old.

My daughter will be four next month. I've read the books and articles on potty training, I've offered rewards, charts and stickers. I recently had her throw away the pull-ups and wear only panties.  She will voluntarily sit on the potty and even tell us she has to go, only to stand right back up and change her mind.  She ends up holding it in all day long and then wets herself later.  It doesnt phase her to be wet and when it happens at night she practically sleeps right thru. We withhold beverages toward evening, but she wets the bed every night. I've read that it confuses the child if you go back to pullups and since we've reverted back once, i'm afraid to do so again.  I'm becoming weary of changing her and her bedding as much as three times a night. I tried to contact my pediatrian on a couple of occasions, but it seemed as though he couldn't be bothered. He showed no concern for any physical problems.  Where do I go from here??
In Topics: Potty Training

|
davecavaliere1
davecavalie... writes:
Hello there.  This may be a bit off topic however it affects many families. We have a 5 year old with autism we are trying to potty train and a 3 year old with ADHD who isn’t trained yet.  They both disrobe and play in their diapers.  We actually invented some special needs autism clothing that helps the situation.  It is an escape proof pajama called The Wonder Jumper and it is a romper sleeper that zips in the back. Our company is called iKids Fashion www.ikidsfashion.com   thanks a lot!

0
0
Hi Tinamae,

It sounds like you are doing all you can.  Remember, children develop at different paces and there is not a set rule as to when they will be completely be potty trained.  

You mention that she is not quiet 4 yet, that is not uncommon, and some may be almost 5 or even 5 before they "get it".  But, trust that she will.  

Continue to remind her to use the bathroom before bed, just as a general rule, rather she thinks she has to or not and praise her efforts.  Although, it is frustrating and worrisome for you, don't be negative or do anything that would cause her resentment as this could make her resort backwards from her efforts.

You may want to start an incentive program (if you hadn't already) rewarding her with a sticker each time she tries to go and even a greater reward such as a dime or quarter to collect in a jar for each successful use.  She will enjoy watching the coins add up and let her know that once she has mastered the 'potty', you will take her shopping to buy something she would like with the $ she's earned.  I did this and it worked great with my two kids.  I did have difficulty with my son and was starting to think, he's never going to get it-what will I do?  But he did get it and all is fine now.  I read in a book while researching what to do for him, that said "don't worry, everybody does get it -some sooner, others later, but everybody gets it, because have you ever seen an adult that used their pants"?  I found comfort in that, because as petty as it sounds, they're right, everybody will get and she will too.

Best wishes!

0
0