Q:

Need practice word suggestions for a 2nd grader having difficulty with identifying words.

"I have a 2nd grade student who is having difficulty identifying words...most of the time she can pronounce them with hints. I am looking for words at her level broken up into syllables."

Asked by George in commenting on the activity, "Learn to Spell with Scrambled Letters": http://www.education.com/activity/article/scram...
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Helping my child with writing, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Allyn Anderson

You might want to try "word families." If you aren't familiar with these, start with a stem, such as 'ow' then change the first consonant: cow, bow, brow, how, now, plow, wow. Or, use the Dolch Word List, which are the most freqently used words. Links to both of these are listed below.

Check to see if your child is able to identify letters and their sounds easily? If not consider, practicing these first. Then, consider having your child write the difficult word in a baking pan filled with sand. Ask your child to use the letter sound of each sound as he/she writes the letter into the sand, then sound all the letters out together.
0
0
Anonymous