bjseymour
bjseymour asks:
Q:

What preschool is best for my above average intelligence son?

We are getting ready to move to a new area and I am totally unfamiliar with their schools.  In all honesty, I am not sure what type of environment will be best for my son and I am overwhelmed by what to even look for.  My son is 3 1/2.  He can read basic "See Jane Run" books and knows how to write his upper and lowercase letters.  He can also fill in missing letters of words when he recognizes their picture.  Socially and physically, he is pretty average.  I don't know whether he should just go to preschool again next year (will be 4 in July).  I don't know whether he will be bored.  On the other hand, I am worried that advancing him in any way will be too difficult socially (especially for a boy).  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

In Topics: Choosing a preschool

|

Danielle
Danielle , Parent writes:
Have you thought about Montessori preschools? This might be worth looking into, as each child moves at his or her own pace. Here's a link to Education.com's information portal on Montessori, which has both original articles, and those provided by the association that links these schools together. Also, keep in mind that the major work of preschool is actually not academics, but socialization. You write a lot about your child's academic skills, but how is he with following directions, dealing with peers, etc? These are skills that are honed in pre-kindergarten and they are important for school success.

0
0