Q:

How to get preschooler into school for speech therapy?

"I have a 2yr 10months old son who is delayed in speech. I need information on how to get him in school for speech therapy. I would please like what process to take."

Asked by Julie via email.
In Topics: Preschool, Speech and language issues, Speech or language impairment

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

When you say your son is "delayed in speech," has he been evaluated by a licensed speech-language pathologist (SLP)?  We ask because your child may actually NOT be delayed, and an SLP would really need to make that determination.  

If, however, your child has been seen by an SLP, simply contact the school in your area to find out more information on having your child receive speech therapy.  In general, individuals ages 3-21 are entitled to receive services through the schools if they have a speech delay according to the state's established guidelines.  Again, your area school should be able to direct you accordingly.

2
0

loletiason
loletiason writes:
I also have a son who started speech therapy at the age of 3.  I first talk to our pcp and they referrred us to a speech therapist.  Later we enrolled him into preschool and the therapist comes to his school twice per week.

0
0
Anonymous