Anonymous
Q:

How do I get my preschooler to talk about school?

My son is 3 years old and goes to playschool. He talks very little about school.
I tried asking questions and probing, that didn't seem to help much.
I started to talk about my workplace and got my husband to talk about his. This approach did help a bit, but not good enough.
Sometimes (better nowadays, after 6 months of playschool), usually just before going to bed or when we go on a walk (one-on-one), he tells me a few school stories.
His teachers in school are very happy with him and say that he is a happy child who is very well-behaved and a very lovable child. Even at home, he is the most enjoyable child!
I'm extremely happy with my child, but just very curious to know what goes on in school on a day-to-day basis.
Could you please suggest ways in which I can get him to open up with me and his dad about school? Thanks in advance!
In Topics: Preschool

|

Hi!
It seems to me that you are doing everything you can to communicate with your child.  He's only 3, even in elementary school, the teachers in kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and some in 3rd grade will send notes home to let you know what they did that week in school, homework assignments and on a daily basis let you know if your child was involved in anything.  The kindergarten teacher at my school said that at that age, they really don't remember that much of what happened in a full day.  

They will remember bits and pieces of a day as it goes along too.  For example, when you first ask, he may or may not think of something to tell you, but later he may mention something that took place.  I don't think that it's not that he doesn't want to tell you about his day, he's just 3 and don't know what to tell you. You may want to suggest to the preschool teacher to send home notes about what happened in a day or a week, so you will have a foundation to start with when talking to your child about the day.  Also since you are working so hard with him, it would be a good time to start using descriptive words to help him learn how to express thoughts.  

Great job and best wishes!

2
0