awatson1
awatson1 asks:
Q:

Pretend vs reality

I have a 6 year old who in the last year has finally started to enjoy "dressing up" and pretending to be someone else. (Last year was the year we actually did trick or treating because all the years before he refused to go or dress up.) And he has a wonderful imagination. But the problem we are having is bringing him back to reality. Even in school when he doesn't want to do his work he pretends to be a "super hero" and doesn't come back to reality. Any suggestions on what I can do?

We have already made a new rule for no "super hero" movies/cartoons for a while (we don't have cable, so that's not very hard to do).
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Awatson:

You made the first big step by limiting the fantasy in his life--turning off cartoons.  Next, I would continue to read stories that have endings that come back to reality. Remind him "dressing up" etc...is a game, not how real kids behave.  It is play and fun, but then there is a time to be serious.  You are off to a good start.

0
0