maxbagnall
maxbagnall asks:
Q:

Are primary school teachers allowed to humiliate a child in front of their fellow pupils when telling them off?

My son was involved in a prank with four other pupils in his class, they were stealing the pens off her desk. When the teacher found out she stood them in front of the entire class, shouted and yelled at them . I find this to be an attempt to humiliate my child and ridicule him in front of his fellow pupils, is the teacher entitled to do this?
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It probably wasn't the teacher's best moment, but I'm sure she was just frustrated and upset.  If this is the only time this teacher acted this way, I'm sure she is beating herself up for her behavior.  If it isn't the first time, you might want to have a conversation with her to find out exactly what happened.  Remember you are only hearing your son's version of the story.  

You can use this incident as a teachable moment.  Talk to your son not only about the teacher's behavior, but his as well.  It may have been a prank, but...  Was the prank a nice thing to do?  Is school a place for pranks?  What about stealing?  How do you think the teacher perceived the prank?  What consequences come with stealing or pranks?  When does it cross the line from fun to hurtful?

Hope this gives you something to think about.  Good luck.

1
0

Hello, Adding to the Expert answer you received...

Here are some tips for approaching the teacher and building a relationship with her: http://www.education.com/topic/parent-teacher-relationship/

Here is some information to help with addressing the behavioral issue with your son: http://www.education.com/topic/discipline/

Thanks for asking!

0
0
Anonymous